Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Is Biblical Love a Feeling or an Action?

Update | Cancel

Posted on September 04,2015

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. ( 1 Corinthians 13:1–3)

The thirteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians may be, from a literary viewpoint, the greatest passage Paul ever penned. Among many other things, it has been called the hymn of love, a lyrical interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes set to music. Studying it is somewhat like taking apart a flower; part of the beauty is lost when the components are separated. But the Spirit’s primary purpose in this passage, as in all Scripture, is to edify. When each part is understood more clearly, the whole can become even more beautiful.

Agape (love) is one of the rarest words in ancient Greek literature, but one of the most common in the New Testament. Unlike our English love, it never refers to romantic or sexual love, for which eros was used, and which does not appear in the New Testament. Nor does it refer to mere sentiment, a pleasant feeling about something or someone. It does not mean dose friendship or brotherly love, for which philia is used. Nor does agape mean charity, a term the King James translators carried over from the Latin and which in English has long been associated only with giving to the needy. This chapter is itself the best definition of agape.

Dr. Karl Menninger, the famous psychiatrist and founder of the Menninger Clinic, has written that “Love is the medicine for our sick old world. If people can learn to give and receive love, they will usually recover from their physical or mental illness.”

The problem, however, is that few people have any idea of what true love is. Most people, including many Christians, seem to think of it only in terms of nice feelings, warm affection, romance, and desire. When we say, “I love you,” we often mean, “I love me and I want you.” That, of course, is the worst sort of selfishness, the very opposite of agape love.

Alan Redpath tells the story of a young woman who came to her pastor desperate and despondent. She said, “There is a man who says he loves me so much he will kill himself if I don’t marry him. What should I do?” “Do nothing,” he replied. “That man doesn’t love you; he loves himself. Such a threat isn’t love; it is pure selfishness.”

Self–giving love, love that demands something of us, love that is more concerned with giving than receiving, is as rare in much of the church today as it was in Corinth. The reason, of course, is that agape love is so unnatural to human nature. Our world has defined love as “romantic feeling” or “attraction,” which has nothing to do with true love in God’s terms.

The supreme measure and example of agape love is God’s love. “God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son” (John 3:16). Love is above all sacrificial. It is sacrifice of self for the sake of others, even for others who may care nothing at all for us and who may even hate us. It is not a feeling but a determined act of will, which always results in determined acts of self–giving. Love is the willing, joyful desire to put the welfare of others above our own. It leaves no place for pride, vanity, arrogance, self–seeking, or self–glory. It is an act of choice we are commanded to exercise even in behalf of our enemies: “I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 5:44–45). If God so loved us that, even “while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son” (Rom. 5:10; Eph. 2:4–7), how much more should we love those who are our enemies.

Author unknown,

on September 4, 2015 5 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

Biblical love is action. The proof of loving God or Jesus is in observing the commandments.

on September 5, 2015 1 likes

“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.” (1 John 3:18 NLT)

If you really love someone, then you show it by how you act toward that person.

Love is more than attraction and more than arousal. It’s also more than sentimentality, like so many of today’s songs suggest. By this standard, is love dead when the emotion is gone? No — not at all — because love is an action, and a behavior.

Over and over again in the Bible, God commands us to love each other, and you can’t command an emotion. If I told you right now, “Be sad!” you couldn’t be sad on cue. Just like an actor, you can fake it, but you’re not wired for your emotions to change on command.

If love were just an emotion, then God couldn’t command it. But love is something youdo. It can produce emotion, but love is an action. 

The Bible says, “Let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions” (1 John 3:18 NLT). We can talk a good act: “I love people.” But do we really love them? Our love is revealed in how we act toward them.

by Pastor Rick Warren

God bless!

on September 5, 2015 6 likes

Ed said:

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. ( 1 Corinthians 13:1–3)

The thirteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians may be, from a literary viewpoint, the greatest passage Paul ever penned. Among many other things, it has been called the hymn of love, a lyrical interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes set to music. Studying it is somewhat like taking apart a flower; part of the beauty is lost when the components are separated. But the Spirit’s primary purpose in this passage, as in all Scripture, is to edify. When each part is understood more clearly, the whole can become even more beautiful.

Agape (love) is one of the rarest words in ancient Greek literature, but one of the most common in the New Testament. Unlike our English love, it never refers to romantic or sexual love, for which eros was used, and which does not appear in the New Testament. Nor does it refer to mere sentiment, a pleasant feeling about something or someone. It does not mean dose friendship or brotherly love, for which philia is used. Nor does agape mean charity, a term the King James translators carried over from the Latin and which in English has long been associated only with giving to the needy. This chapter is itself the best definition of agape.

Dr. Karl Menninger, the famous psychiatrist and founder of the Menninger Clinic, has written that “Love is the medicine for our sick old world. If people can learn to give and receive love, they will usually recover from their physical or mental illness.”

The problem, however, is that few people have any idea of what true love is. Most people, including many Christians, seem to think of it only in terms of nice feelings, warm affection, romance, and desire. When we say, “I love you,” we often mean, “I love me and I want you.” That, of course, is the worst sort of selfishness, the very opposite of agape love.

Alan Redpath tells the story of a young woman who came to her pastor desperate and despondent. She said, “There is a man who says he loves me so much he will kill himself if I don’t marry him. What should I do?” “Do nothing,” he replied. “That man doesn’t love you; he loves himself. Such a threat isn’t love; it is pure selfishness.”

Self–giving love, love that demands something of us, love that is more concerned with giving than receiving, is as rare in much of the church today as it was in Corinth. The reason, of course, is that agape love is so unnatural to human nature. Our world has defined love as “romantic feeling” or “attraction,” which has nothing to do with true love in God’s terms.

The supreme measure and example of agape love is God’s love. “God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son” (John 3:16). Love is above all sacrificial. It is sacrifice of self for the sake of others, even for others who may care nothing at all for us and who may even hate us. It is not a feeling but a determined act of will, which always results in determined acts of self–giving. Love is the willing, joyful desire to put the welfare of others above our own. It leaves no place for pride, vanity, arrogance, self–seeking, or self–glory. It is an act of choice we are commanded to exercise even in behalf of our enemies: “I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 5:44–45). If God so loved us that, even “while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son” (Rom. 5:10; Eph. 2:4–7), how much more should we love those who are our enemies.

Author unknown,

hello ED glad to see you on post,  HRU,  Been thinking of you n ur adventure,  Above all hv fervent love for one another, 1 peter 4:8  I always keep these words with me on a scrap paper i wrote them on.  They seem to pop up when i need them most,  Some bibles i see charity, instead  of the word love used .Well hope all is well with you.  If u ever want to personal message me , it would be great to here from you.  

on September 7, 2015 2 likes

Feelings or emotions may come and go. To love someone--it is a choice and to how we act and decide. Shalom!

Ed said:

on September 7, 2015 5 likes

Hi Ellen, Criselda, Mark and Emery

John 6:35 (NIV)

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

I'm glad you each got something out of the above, Agape (love) is one of the Hardest for us to comprehend or fully grasp. This part here i like the best becouse of something that happened here in the Philippines.  “Love is the medicine for our sick old world. If people can learn to give and receive love, they will usually recover from their physical or mental illness.” I was sick and went to the doctors to get some antibiotics, to make a long story short, I had a Lady doctor and she wrote me a prescription for some antibiotics and on the other prescription she gave me her personal phone number for a date.  She was just too young for my likings, so I never called her.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

But Emery, I will write about living here in the philipines and some of the places I have been and thing doing. like when ask by some one trying to set me up with a Sister or Friend. they ask me what I'm looking for in a Lady. I tell them a Blue eyed Filipina. Lol I may write something about my search for that Blue eyed Filipina later. its funny the response I get from Filipinos when I tell them blue eyes.

P.S Emery you can PM me if you have any question about here or anything esle. I get Busy sometime so maybe a day or 2 to reply.

on September 8, 2015 2 likes

Biblical love is an action. The best example of this Is God's love for us ( John 3:16). He saved us from our sins because of His great love for us.  He loves us regardless of our Filthiness. I always thank God every day for His Unconditional love he is giving me even if I feel that I'm not worthy enough to receive it. There are some people who are professing that they love Him but their actions towards others is screaming silently that it's the opposite. Sad but that's the reality.

I believe that any relationship based on feelings will most likely fail. I remember someone asked me, " Why do you love me?" I paused for a while and answered him " I don't know."  If that certain person is not attractive anymore, inadequate to fulfill your wants and desire.. betrayed you..and all the reasons of why you fall inlove to him vanished, Would you still love him? Biblical love is a decision to love someone especially those persons who turns to be unlovable or hard to love.

Ah..God's love is incomparable. Perfect and pure. We should all be inspired how to really love in God's selfless way..not on our selfish way. 

#notetoself

Hi Ed,

Nice one hah, blue eyed Filipina?, I know what you mean :), be careful she might wearing contact lenses hahaha ....and just what we believed, with God nothing is impossible!

Amen..Agape love (unconditional love), it is very hard to follow and to practice. It is God's principles, a love that Christ mentioned when he said you must love your neighbor as yourself and you must love your enemy.  It is not natural to have affection for your enemy, but it is possible to practice the agape love in connection with your enemy. If we do our very best to follow Jesus Christ asking the help of the Holy Spirit then you are well on your way. It is difficult but we all know and believed with God nothing is impossible.

God bless for that blue eyed Filipina :)

Ed said:

35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

I'm glad you each got something out of the above, Agape (love) is one of the Hardest for us to comprehend or fully grasp. This part here i like the best becouse of something that happened here in the Philippines.  “Love is the medicine for our sick old world. If people can learn to give and receive love, they will usually recover from their physical or mental illness.” I was sick and went to the doctors to get some antibiotics, to make a long story short, I had a Lady doctor and she wrote me a prescription for some antibiotics and on the other prescription she gave me her personal phone number for a date.  She was just too young for my likings, so I never called her.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

But Emery, I will write about living here in the philipines and some of the places I have been and thing doing. like when ask by some one trying to set me up with a Sister or Friend. they ask me what I'm looking for in a Lady. I tell them a Blue eyed Filipina. Lol I may write something about my search for that Blue eyed Filipina later. its funny the response I get from Filipinos when I tell them blue eyes.

P.S Emery you can PM me if you have any question about here or anything esle. I get Busy sometime so maybe a day or 2 to reply.

Hi Ed,

Very well, hard to comprehend because the word Agape is a kind of love that is perfect and pure (as Tine says too) because it comes from the Author of love Himself.  When my only son died at the peak of his dreams I can't help not to asked “why my only son Lord!” God is so good coz He has not ask me back the same. But He comforted me that He first unselfishly gave His son (Jesus) that thru His only Beloved Son He prepared a place for my beloved son and for us too (those who believed in Him).

Yes! It can be learn! It is but a definite choice of the will-- All these attributes of agape come by a selfless mental discipline of a believer as guided by the HOLY SPIRIT. Agape is the first fruit of the Holy Spirit in a believer. The more spiritual knowledge the believer gained from searching the Word of God the more agape enables the believer to love and obey what God commands. :))

Godbless us all!

P.S.  Ed, are you still in Tuguegarao?  Seems you're doing well....So any native language you've learned to speak already hahaha.  In Tuguegarao they speak 4 native languages Gaddang, Ibanag, Itawit, Ilocano. "Wen manong! God willing, one day as our schedule permits will try to invite Ellen and visit you there. Promise, only in Tuguegarao you can find beatiful native Filipina...looking for blue eyed Filipina? I guess you can find one. :))

Ed said:

I'm glad you each got something out of the above, Agape (love) is one of the Hardest for us to comprehend or fully grasp. This part here i like the best becouse of something that happened here in the Philippines.  “Love is the medicine for our sick old world. If people can learn to give and receive love, they will usually recover from their physical or mental illness.” 

Ed said:

i tried PM you before,  Tried again,  but was not able to do,  restricted i think, or maybe wrong gender lol   or no blue eyes, lol   But i hv been to Phillipines several times for lenthy stay,  and hv been involved there for 10 years or so,  Hv researched different places ther to retire, n hv visited them,  Weather being important among other things, Glad to here ur ok,  Becarefull n God Bless

on September 8, 2015 1 likes

Hi all, 

I cannot even believe this myself,  I just found a Filipina with natural hazel blue eyes down here in Cebu.  I've already talked to her on the phone she seems really nice. Just hoping I can get a chance to met her in person. Before I leave Cebu. This is to funny. Both parents Filipino, also. I know I wasn't  referring to blue eyes literally,  and the chances were one in 1 million to  ever find a blue-eyed Filipina.

on September 28, 2015 2 likes

Ed said:

Hi all, 

I cannot even believe this myself,  I just found a Filipina with natural hazel blue eyes down here in Cebu.  I've already talked to her on the phone she seems really nice. Just hoping I can get a chance to met her in person. Before I leave Cebu. This is to funny. Both parents Filipino, also. I know I wasn't  referring to blue eyes literally,  and the chances were one in 1 million to  ever find a blue-eyed Filipina.

hello ED,   Rode a bus from Cebu City,  to the southern tipof Cebu,  3-4  hours ,than took a ferry to Dumaguete,  Love this city,  the weather in this area from my research very gd, as far as typhones ect,   I think even, M , noticed this from weather watching.  On the subject of BLUE EYES,   I like blue eyes, dont matter what color they are.  LoL  If u happen to get to Dumaguete,  ck out the Fresh Fish market,   bought a lot of shrimp, ect there,   If u make gd purchase, offcource they will gv u ice for ur cooler.  One place i would like to live is across the  bay from Dumaguete,  35 minute bamboo boat ride , or steel ferry ride.  Ur within an hour from the city, ,, but with the bay,  its like hundred miles away,  Best of both worlds kinda.  Glad to here from u,  Be safe n God Bless  you n ur adventure

on September 28, 2015 1 likes

Interesting! you figured it out she has a natural hazel blue eyes? (of course not referring literally blue eyes) By just merely talking on the phone?  Wow! Therefore, it's true 80% of what we take into human brain is visual. Hope that will be spontaneous when you meet her face to face. And you should... coz it could be overlook things to the contrary. Meaning, no hazel blue eyes in Tuguegarao? So sad and how come......hahaha

Ed said:

Hi all, 

on September 29, 2015 0 likes

Hello Mr.Ed,

Forgot to ask you, Why were you at Cordova Home Village Resort a few days ago? Is the blue eyed Filipina youre talking about is from Cordova? Oh what a small world...Its nt far from my place....Have you pass by my shop? I was also there last aug. to set up a 6 layers birthday cake.. I make wedding cakes & balloon decors also, just in case you need it..hehehe!

on October 2, 2015 0 likes

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close