Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Wedding traditions

Update | Cancel

Posted on September 04,2015

As expected there are some wedding traditions that we do that is supposed to bring good or bad luck. I am going to list two here that are new to me by marrying a Filipno lady. I wonder if anyone has heard of these and can even tell me more about the or correct me if I am wrong

1: You can only get married on the dates of 8-10-18-20-28-30. 

Why????

2: A bride is not supposed to try on her wedding dress until the day of the wedding. So how does the dress get fitted and how does she know it will still fit after all those stress induced chololate binges?

So, any help here? Ask parents and grandparent about these as these were passed down from at least her grandmother. 

Now for fun, any other wedding traditions anyone wants to share.

Here we have 1: throwing the flowers and woman that catches it will be the next one to get married. 2: throwing garder belt and man is next to marry. 3: Groom can not see bride before actual isle walk in her dress or bad luck. 4: throw rice (now bird seed as the birds ate the rice and it killed them)

Come on, let's make this one of the longest post with all the traditions for weddings and note the ones you actually followed.

on September 4, 2015 2 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

Lol Steve,

You're in for a big surprise if you're getting married here in the Philippines,  it is nothing like a American wedding whatsoever.  Well at least the reception and I heard they can last for days.  I've been to two weddings here in the Philippines since I moved here.  And I still don't understand the reception.  Or the names they have for  groomsmen and bridesmaids.  But congratulations and I'm sure your bride will walk you through it. 

P.S  if you're going to be eaten meat here in the Philippines make sure you get them from the supermarket and not the meets they sell on the street.  Also ask and  Expat  about the restaurants in the area you are going to.  Just speaking from experience. PM me if you have  any questions about here in the Philippines  from the American point of you.

on September 4, 2015 0 likes

Hello Sir. Steve and your lady ;),

Haha, this is nice thread eh. 

Throwing rice?? oh American thing too? :D hehehe. 

The numbers you cited are written upward, according to beliefs and superstitions, they denotes good fortune while numbers written downward like 1, 4, 9 and the likes is the oppossite, they attract misfortune - lol (not sure of 7 though, seems superstious belief also agree it is a perfect number hehe).   This is not only observe for setting dates on weddings, but also in many other significant events like ground-breaking in building ones house, business, etc. 

This is actually a tradition/belief pass down by Chinese Influence to Filipino people. 

How I wish I could remember all the beliefs my father did when my second brother get married, but I cannot remember exactly a single one, aww  simply because I don’t believe and has nothing to do  in any of them :D. 

On the wedding dress, they see to it there is an allowance on the measurements, and can be easily adjusted on the wedding day. 

I heard about this, when a younger sibling marries first, she / he ought to pay an amount or present a gift to the unmarried older sibling,  something like that. Hmmm if my youngest bro marries first and do that to me, he is exempted already, hehehe. 

on September 5, 2015 0 likes

NOSEBLEED!!! ... I still have no clue about "written up" or "written down". Not follow the meaning of that. I can't see the logic in the numbers yet. That was kinda what my fiancé also said but after asking 4 times I gave up.

The dress, she can't even try it on to see how it looks on her body shape??? Or did you mean the allowance is they can try it on, but only on that one day?  To not even try it on to me is crazy!

We are getting married in USA but would love to have the whole pig cooked And we'll as all the other spread of foods.  Maybe once she is here for a while and gets a group of Filipno friends but she knows no one here yet. As far as street food I had them in Singapore, Bangkok, pattaya, and Manila. No issues ever so far, and will continue to try them. Hey, it part of the adventure I say. 

Rey said:

The numbers you cited are written upward, according to beliefs and superstitions, they denotes good fortune while numbers written downward like 1, 4, 9 and the likes is the oppossite, they attract misfortune - lol (not sure of 7 though, seems superstious belief also agree it is a perfect number hehe).   This is not only observe for setting dates on weddings, but also in many other significant events like ground-breaking in building ones house, business, etc. 

This is actually a tradition/belief pass down by Chinese Influence to Filipino people. 

How I wish I could remember all the beliefs my father did when my second brother get married, but I cannot remember exactly a single one, aww  simply because I don’t believe and has nothing to do  in any of them :D. 

On the wedding dress, they see to it there is an allowance on the measurements, and can be easily adjusted on the wedding day. 

I heard about this, when a younger sibling marries first, she / he ought to pay an amount or present a gift to the unmarried older sibling,  something like that. Hmmm if my youngest bro marries first and do that to me, he is exempted already, hehehe. 

on September 5, 2015 0 likes

awwww,, so I repeated them in me LOL.

So you want to get the meaning of the numbers Sir? Am not sure, but at least one number I know, haha. Number 4 speciafically is associated with death, and any date ending with it, is also considered not good. Oh “written up” “written down”, i mean “how these numbers are being written”. Example, if you write 0, you start at the top then down at the bottom, then end up at the top is it not Sir, so with its group. Compared to 1, you start  at the top end down at the bottom. So, with the choosing of dates,  they don’t like the couples to start their lives together abundant and happy only to end up sad and broken :-D. 

Measurement on the wedding dress, hmmm, example shoulder 34, waist 26, hips 36, they just add a minimum of one to 1 and 1& 1/2  inch in each, on the wedding day, they adjust it. 

Oh yeah, I worked part time in a wedding and catering services also before, so I know a little bit :-D. 

Morning po. 

Steve said:

NOSEBLEED!!! ... I still have no clue about "written up" or "written down". Not follow the meaning of that. I can't see the logic in the numbers yet. That was kinda what my fiancé also said but after asking 4 times I gave up.

The dress, she can't even try it on to see how it looks on her body shape??? Or did you mean the allowance is they can try it on, but only on that one day?  To not even try it on to me is crazy!

We are getting married in USA but would love to have the whole pig cooked And we'll as all the other spread of foods.  Maybe once she is here for a while and gets a group of Filipno friends but she knows no one here yet. As far as street food I had them in Singapore, Bangkok, pattaya, and Manila. No issues ever so far, and will continue to try them. Hey, it part of the adventure I say. 

Rey said:

on September 6, 2015 0 likes

Rey, almost there with understanding on numbers. So it's the last number that matters? And it best to end at the top not the bottom? Because like 20 is allowed and the 2 starts at the top and finish at bottom but the 0 ends at top??? So see the numbers off set if you count both digits.  

issue on the dress is we don't have a person usually with sewing machine at place of wedding here to make any required alterations. I guess she better stay same weight from day of fitting until wedding (yea right, too much stress eating while planning.

Oh, here the bride family pays for the wedding event, and the grooms pays for rehearsal deal including a meal at restaurant after. 

on September 6, 2015 0 likes

Hello again Sir,

I say yes, it is the last number that matters po.  

Hehe, if your lady believes and upholds much of the tradition and superstitions of man, surely she dares not to fit her gown until the wedding day :-D. The dressmaker can tell her what to do in case it is loose  ;). 

Steve said:

Rey, almost there with understanding on numbers. So it's the last number that matters? And it best to end at the top not the bottom? Because like 20 is allowed and the 2 starts at the top and finish at bottom but the 0 ends at top??? So see the numbers off set if you count both digits.  

issue on the dress is we don't have a person usually with sewing machine at place of wedding here to make any required alterations. I guess she better stay same weight from day of fitting until wedding (yea right, too much stress eating while planning.

Oh, here the bride family pays for the wedding event, and the grooms pays for rehearsal deal including a meal at restaurant after. 

on September 7, 2015 0 likes

Rey, I am a strong believer that when I marry a woman I marry her family too. It's not so much she is a believer but it comes from her mom. Now mom didn't really know why exactly why they did but it also came down from her mother (fiancé grandmother). So fiancé mom said so, that's good enough for me. Another saying here. "If your wife is happy, everybody is happy, if your wife is unhappy everybody is unhappy (or soon will be)." And problem here is (think I said this) is she is getting dress in Philippines and having it shipped here to be married here in USA. We will not have a seamtress at wedding to fix. That is what worries me... Maybe she try on first thing in morning and if not right she has time during day to take someplace??

on September 7, 2015 0 likes

Steve,

I was recently married in the Philippines.  On the 10th as it turned out.

We were supposed to not do anything for the two days prior to the wedding, as customary.  Makes sense, but unfortunately, there was just too much to do in wedding prep for my lovely wife.

I paid for everything which I think is customary.

As for the ceremony, I loved it, so solemn. Her parents, during the wedding, had the opportunity to come up to me, in front of 150 guests, and let me know exactly what they expected of me.  Basic things like fidelity, don't hurt her, take good care of her, love her.  I thought that was great.

During the celebration afterwards, something I liked was allowing my wife and I separately, to thank people for coming and then to speak to each other about our commitment to each other, using a mic and before all the witnesses. 

For some that might be "too much" but I found it refreshing.  Oh, also, during the wedding some of her many sponsors were allowed to come up front and speak some words to us of encouragement.

The accountability is something I think is missing from American weddings today.

I have it all on DVD (recommend doing this if you can) so you can relive the most wonderful day of your life-marrying a Filipina!

on September 9, 2015 1 likes

Thats very interesting about the up and down numbers I didn't know about that. Thankfully my fiance and I will be getting married on the 28th. She picked the date of the month because the 28th is when we officially became BF and GF which is also coincidentally the same date of my birthday and the same date her and I first started talking here on CF (not the same months though). 

Here is a list of a few other traditions that my fiance and I have talked about.

1. If another family member gets married within the same year as the couple then some or half of the good luck will be taken from them and given to the second and even third couple. I think her mother called it a tribal wedding and none within our familys should be getting married within the same year as us.

2. It's bad luck for the Groom and the Bride to sleep in the same house on the night before their wedding.

3. It's bad luck if the Bride sleeps in the same house as they intend to spend their first night together as husband and wife. 

4. When the husband and wife go to the home they are spending the first night together, it should be at the husbands home and he must carry his wife through the frount door all the way into the bedroom.

5. It's bad luck for a Groom to see his Bride at all before the wedding on the wedding day.

6. Man and woman who catch the garter and bouquet will be the next to be married.

For us we will be getting married over in the Phillippines mostly because of 2 reasons 1. It'seaser for my family to go over there then it is for her family to come here to Australia 2. I want to having as close as possable traditional wedding within the Catholic church as possable and here in Australia I dont believe that can happen.

on October 23, 2015 0 likes

Congratulations to all who are getting married. My very first reply here in the forum. :) Hope to see more posts from here. 

on October 26, 2015 1 likes

We were married Oct 20 at 6:00 pm. Beautiful traditional wedding, she had her gown hand made in the Philippines and brought it over in a suitcase. Words of warnings, the dress did get some wrinkles and some stains from being in the luggage and the fact it was hand made (without cleaning labels or material list) made it IMPOSSIBLE to dry clean professionally as we wanted. He cleaner did clean the spots he could by hand but there were some stains that would not come out. Also, because the inner lining of the dress (to make it fluffy) was a woven paper product there was a chance it would be messed up in the cleaning and pressing part.  Just a word of warning to future brides. Also, something happened when she was flying from Manila to USA. We booked her flights on purpose to have her point of entry at the airport closest to me, so she had 2 layovers in Canada before arriving in Charlotte NC. Because of the 2 layovers in Canada she had to have a visa for Canada as well as for USA. They REFUSED her to board her flights (non refundable, non exchangeable) and she called me in a panic state. I worked with the expidia company to attempt to change the flights and the best they would do for me was brand new ticket at over $3000 USD. My fiancé was able to work with the airlines in Manila for a better deal but we still have to pay an extra $700 USD for her new flights. Be sure and double check about visa requirents. I never knew if you had 2 layovers in a nation like Canada, and she never would have left the airport, that a visa would be required. It was an expensive lesson learned! We are adjusting to some cultural differences now, learning more about each other now that we are married and having lots more time together. Some parts have been heavenly, some parts not so... But it part of the adventure of marriage. Blessing to all and know that you can find your mate here on this site. 

on October 30, 2015 2 likes

Hi Steve,

Congratulations, may your new life with your wife be richly blessed.
 this wedding prayer I sent to Angie and Allan married Oct 23 here from CF, but its also fitting for you and your wife also, Please add her name since I do not know it.

Father in Heaven, Thank You for Steve, and His Wife, and their commitment to Christian marriage. As we look ahead, we pray that their future will never lack the convictions that make a marriage strong.

Bless Steve. Bless him as provider and protector. Sustain him in all the pressures that come with the task of stewarding a family. May he so live that his wife may find in him the haven for which the heart of a woman truly longs.

Bless His Wife. Give her a tenderness that makes her great, a deep sense of understanding, and a strong faith in You. Give her that inner beauty of a soul that never fades, that eternal youth that is found in holding fast to the things that never age. May she so live that her husband may be pleased to reverence her in the shrine of his heart.

Teach them that marriage is not living for each other. It is two people uniting and joining hands to serve You. Give them a great spiritual purpose in life. May they seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness, knowing that You will sustain them through all of life’s challenges.

May they minimize each other’s weaknesses and be swift to praise and magnify each other’s strengths. Bless them and develop their characters as they walk together with You. Give them enough hurts to keep them humane, enough failures to keep their hands clenched tightly in Yours, and enough of success to make them sure they walk with You throughout all of their life.

May they never take each other’s love for granted but always experience that breathless wonder that exclaims, "Out of all this world, you have chosen me." Then, when life is done and the sun is setting, may they be found then as now, still hand in hand, still very proud, still thanking You for each other.

May they travel together as friends and lovers, brother and sister, husband and wife, father and mother, and as servants of Christ until He shall return or until that day when one shall lay the other into the arms of God. This we ask through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, the Great Lover of our souls. Amen.

on October 30, 2015 1 likes

Congratulations Steve and to your wife! :) 

Congratulations Steve!  Sorry to learn of the flight issues.  I hope to see my love on Janusury 9. I agree a man absolutely can find a wife here.

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close