Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

FORGIVE AND FORGET

Update | Cancel

Posted on May 28,2015

shared from : http://www.gotquestions.org/forgive-forget.html#ixzz3bPkJRX3C

The phrase “forgive and forget” is not found in the Bible. However, there are numerous verses commanding us to “forgive one another” (e.g., Matthew 6:14 and Ephesians 4:32). A Christian who is not willing to forgive others will find his fellowship with God hindered (Matthew 6:15) and can reap bitterness and the loss of reward (Hebrews 12:14–15; 2 John 1:8).

Forgiveness is a decision of the will. Since God commands us to forgive, we must make a conscious choice to obey God and forgive. The offender may not desire forgiveness and may not ever change, but that doesn’t negate God’s desire that we possess a forgiving spirit (Matthew 5:44). Ideally, the offender will seek reconciliation, but, if not, the one wronged can still make a decision to forgive.

Of course, it is impossible to truly forget sins that have been committed against us. We cannot selectively “delete” events from our memory. The Bible states that God does not “remember” our wickedness (Hebrews 8:12). But God is still all-knowing. God remembers that we have “sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). But, having been forgiven, we are positionally (or judicially) justified. Heaven is ours, as if our sin had never occurred. If we belong to Him through faith in Christ, God does not condemn us for our sins (Romans 8:1). In that sense God “forgives and forgets.”

If by “forgive and forget” one means, “I choose to forgive the offender for the sake of Christ and move on with my life,” then this is a wise and godly course of action. As much as possible, we should forget what is behind and strive toward what is ahead (Philippians 3:13). We should forgive each other “just as in Christ God forgave” (Ephesians 4:32). We must not allow a root of bitterness to spring up in our hearts (Hebrews 12:15).

However, if by “forgive and forget” one means, “I will act as if the sin had never occurred and live as if I don’t remember it,” then we can run into trouble. For example, a rape victim can choose to forgive the rapist, but that does not mean she should act as if that sin had never happened. To spend time alone with the rapist, especially if he is unrepentant, is not what Scripture teaches. Forgiveness involves not holding a sin against a person any longer, but forgiveness is different from trust. It is wise to take precautions, and sometimes the dynamics of a relationship will have to change. “The prudent see danger and take refuge, / but the simple keep going and pay the penalty” (Proverbs 22:3). Jesus told His followers to “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16). In the context of keeping company with unrepentant sinners, we must be “innocent” (willing to forgive) yet at the same time “shrewd” (being cautious).

The ideal is to forgive and forget. Love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:5) and covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8). However, changing hearts is God’s business, and, until an offender has a true, supernatural heart change, it is only wise to limit the level of trust one places in that person. Being cautious doesn’t mean we haven’t forgiven. It simply means we are not God and we cannot see that person’s heart.

God bless!

Just curious.  Are you doing the same thing you accused me of doing?  Meaning to say...are you taking some of my posts personally as if I am speaking to you?  

Ellen said:

shared from : http://www.gotquestions.org/forgive-forget.html#ixzz3bPkJRX3C

The phrase “forgive and forget” is not found in the Bible. However, there are numerous verses commanding us to “forgive one another” (e.g., Matthew 6:14 and Ephesians 4:32). A Christian who is not willing to forgive others will find his fellowship with God hindered (Matthew 6:15) and can reap bitterness and the loss of reward (Hebrews 12:14–15; 2 John 1:8).

Forgiveness is a decision of the will. Since God commands us to forgive, we must make a conscious choice to obey God and forgive. The offender may not desire forgiveness and may not ever change, but that doesn’t negate God’s desire that we possess a forgiving spirit (Matthew 5:44). Ideally, the offender will seek reconciliation, but, if not, the one wronged can still make a decision to forgive.

Of course, it is impossible to truly forget sins that have been committed against us. We cannot selectively “delete” events from our memory. The Bible states that God does not “remember” our wickedness (Hebrews 8:12). But God is still all-knowing. God remembers that we have “sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). But, having been forgiven, we are positionally (or judicially) justified. Heaven is ours, as if our sin had never occurred. If we belong to Him through faith in Christ, God does not condemn us for our sins (Romans 8:1). In that sense God “forgives and forgets.”

If by “forgive and forget” one means, “I choose to forgive the offender for the sake of Christ and move on with my life,” then this is a wise and godly course of action. As much as possible, we should forget what is behind and strive toward what is ahead (Philippians 3:13). We should forgive each other “just as in Christ God forgave” (Ephesians 4:32). We must not allow a root of bitterness to spring up in our hearts (Hebrews 12:15).

However, if by “forgive and forget” one means, “I will act as if the sin had never occurred and live as if I don’t remember it,” then we can run into trouble. For example, a rape victim can choose to forgive the rapist, but that does not mean she should act as if that sin had never happened. To spend time alone with the rapist, especially if he is unrepentant, is not what Scripture teaches. Forgiveness involves not holding a sin against a person any longer, but forgiveness is different from trust. It is wise to take precautions, and sometimes the dynamics of a relationship will have to change. “The prudent see danger and take refuge, / but the simple keep going and pay the penalty” (Proverbs 22:3). Jesus told His followers to “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16). In the context of keeping company with unrepentant sinners, we must be “innocent” (willing to forgive) yet at the same time “shrewd” (being cautious).

The ideal is to forgive and forget. Love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:5) and covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8). However, changing hearts is God’s business, and, until an offender has a true, supernatural heart change, it is only wise to limit the level of trust one places in that person. Being cautious doesn’t mean we haven’t forgiven. It simply means we are not God and we cannot see that person’s heart.

God bless!

Hi Mr. Robert,

Please get over! move on!

Just like the first time and this is the last time, I am telling you I did not accused you of anything, it's all on your mind, I don't know why and it's your problem, not mine anymore. 

In fact you're the one whose always accusing me that all of my posts were intended to you since I am not and never read any of your posts (if only CF can check that, I never ever open any of your posts since the time you said that my post strike you!). I am here just to share what I experienced and what I learned from what I read. If there are things that I shared here that stricken you, then do you think it's my problem? Maybe your conscience would like to tell you of something? 

I told you before everything what I shared and wrote here is not for you, if you still not believed on that and continue to accused me, then better stop, check yourself and pray that God compelled us so that my sharing will not strike you.

I am not you, believed what you believed and I believed what I believe..all I know is I shared what the Spirit told me so, and to His leading I believed that if I shared may have a bad impact to someone, I prayed that He will also guide that someone. And one thing more, It never comes in my writings that I accused you of something I just told you  that it is all of your thinking, and I don't know why. Please stop thinking that all my posts is all about you!

I you're still not believed on me, please stay away, stop accusing me of something that I didn't do, anyway, we all believed that all we do is accountable to God. 

I rest my case.

I pray that may God give us the right thinking and good conscience to do what He had told us to do. And may God help us to stop these nonsense talking. If this is your way Lord to make me stop being a member of this site, show me Lord and I will obey. In Jesus Name. Amen.

God bless!

Well, I was just about to say the same thing - it's in the past, please move on.

Glad to hear you say this.

Ellen said:

Hi Mr. Robert,

Please get over! move on!

Just like the first time and this is the last time, I am telling you I did not accused you of anything, it's all on your mind, I don't know why and it's your problem, not mine anymore. 

In fact you're the one whose always accusing me that all of my posts were intended to you since I am not and never read any of your posts (if only CF can check that, I never ever open any of your posts since the time you said that my post strike you!). I am here just to share what I experienced and what I learned from what I read. If there are things that I shared here that stricken you, then do you think it's my problem? Maybe your conscience would like to tell you of something? 

I told you before everything what I shared and wrote here is not for you, if you still not believed on that and continue to accused me, then better stop, check yourself and pray that God compelled us so that my sharing will not strike you.

I am not you, believed what you believed and I believed what I believe..all I know is I shared what the Spirit told me so, and to His leading I believed that if I shared may have a bad impact to someone, I prayed that He will also guide that someone. And one thing more, It never comes in my writings that I accused you of something I just told you  that it is all of your thinking, and I don't know why. Please stop thinking that all my posts is all about you!

I you're still not believed on me, please stay away, stop accusing me of something that I didn't do, anyway, we all believed that all we do is accountable to God. 

I rest my case.

I pray that may God give us the right thinking and good conscience to do what He had told us to do. And may God help us to stop these nonsense talking. If this is your way Lord to make me stop being a member of this site, show me Lord and I will obey. In Jesus Name. Amen.

God bless!

Thank You Lord for a very fast answer to my prayer...to You God be all the glory!

Isaiah 41:10-15 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought.  For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.  Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: thou shalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff.

God speaks with compassion; Fear thou not, for I am with thee: not only within call, but present with thee. Are you weak? I will strengthen you. Are you in want of friends? I will help you in the time of need. Are you ready to fall? I will uphold you with that right hand which is full of righteousness, dealing forth rewards and punishments. There are those that struggle with God's people, that seek their ruin. Let not God's people render evil for evil, but wait God's time. It is the worm Jacob; so little, so weak, so despised and trampled on by everybody. God's people are as worms, in humble thoughts of themselves, and in their enemies' haughty thoughts of them; worms, but not vipers, not of the serpent's seed. Every part of God's word is calculated to humble man's pride, and to make him appear little in his own eyes. The Lord will help them, for he is their Redeemer. The Lord will make Jacob to become a threshing instrument. God will make him fit for use, new, and having sharp spikes. This has fulfilment in the triumphs of the gospel of Christ, and of all faithful followers of Christ, over the power of darkness. God has provided comforts to supply all their wants, and to answer all their prayers. Our way to heaven lies through the wilderness of this world. The soul of man is in want, and seeks for satisfaction; but becomes weary of seeking that in the world, which is not to be had in it. Yet they shall have a constant supply, where one would least expect it. I will open rivers of grace, rivers of living water, which Christ spake of the Spirit, John 7:38,39. When God sets up his church in the Gentile wilderness, there shall be a great change, as if thorns and briers were turned into cedars, and fir-trees, and myrtles. These blessings are kept for the poor in spirit, who long for Divine enlightening, pardon, and holiness. And God will render their barren souls fruitful in the grace of his Spirit, that all who behold may consider it.

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?com=mhc&b=23&c=41

God bless!

you are so transparent, Ellen.

Ellen said:

Thank You Lord for a very fast answer to my prayer...to You God be all the glory!

Isaiah 41:10-15 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought.  For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.  Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: thou shalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff.

God speaks with compassion; Fear thou not, for I am with thee: not only within call, but present with thee. Are you weak? I will strengthen you. Are you in want of friends? I will help you in the time of need. Are you ready to fall? I will uphold you with that right hand which is full of righteousness, dealing forth rewards and punishments. There are those that struggle with God's people, that seek their ruin. Let not God's people render evil for evil, but wait God's time. It is the worm Jacob; so little, so weak, so despised and trampled on by everybody. God's people are as worms, in humble thoughts of themselves, and in their enemies' haughty thoughts of them; worms, but not vipers, not of the serpent's seed. Every part of God's word is calculated to humble man's pride, and to make him appear little in his own eyes. The Lord will help them, for he is their Redeemer. The Lord will make Jacob to become a threshing instrument. God will make him fit for use, new, and having sharp spikes. This has fulfilment in the triumphs of the gospel of Christ, and of all faithful followers of Christ, over the power of darkness. God has provided comforts to supply all their wants, and to answer all their prayers. Our way to heaven lies through the wilderness of this world. The soul of man is in want, and seeks for satisfaction; but becomes weary of seeking that in the world, which is not to be had in it. Yet they shall have a constant supply, where one would least expect it. I will open rivers of grace, rivers of living water, which Christ spake of the Spirit, John 7:38,39. When God sets up his church in the Gentile wilderness, there shall be a great change, as if thorns and briers were turned into cedars, and fir-trees, and myrtles. These blessings are kept for the poor in spirit, who long for Divine enlightening, pardon, and holiness. And God will render their barren souls fruitful in the grace of his Spirit, that all who behold may consider it.

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?com=mhc&b=23&c=41

God bless!

Hi Ellen,

I just noticed your nice round number of 6000 posts!  Wow!!!

I suppose the next time I see your posts it will be over that.  But I wanted to point that out.

Have a nice day.

Hi D,

It's nice of you for stopping by. Yes, supposedly, I have a prepared topic for that number but due to things and an unavoidable circumstances, it needs to change.

You see...... 6001 posts is for you! I hope this is a good start all over again for sharing!

And I'm hoping that there's something to be learn of from that posts, either good or not good posts, it's all food for thought ....just take the good and pray for the not good things I shared!

Thank you. God bless!

D said:

Hi Ellen,

I just noticed your nice round number of 6000 posts!  Wow!!!

I suppose the next time I see your posts it will be over that.  But I wanted to point that out.

Have a nice day.

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close