Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Trying to learn Filipino. Can you, and will you, answer questions?

Update | Cancel

Posted on September 28,2014

I am using Rosetta Stone and sometimes have trouble grasping the meaning of a word. Right now the word that is giving me trouble is "kong." I know what "ko" is, but I cannot find a definition of "kong."

on September 28, 2014 1 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

William said:

I am using Rosetta Stone and sometimes have trouble grasping the meaning of a word. Right now the word that is giving me trouble is "kong." I know what "ko" is, but I cannot find a definition of "kong."

my could be one translation I believe... or possible I or me... depends on usage... One of the ladies will explain it and the various usage...  At the moment, I study on Cebuano, Waray Waray.... 

on September 28, 2014 0 likes

Thank you. I know that "ko" means "my, or mine", and I know that "kong" is closely related. At first I thought that "kong" must be "our" but that doesn't seem to work.

William said:

could be conjugated (noun/object) I think... or possible shortened pronounciation (conversational vs formal) Tell the ladies the entire sentence and they will tell you. More than one way to use it I'm sure...

William said:

Thank you. I know that "ko" means "my, or mine", and I know that "kong" is closely related. At first I thought that "kong" must be "our" but that doesn't seem to work.

wala akong pera...wala 'kong pera   I don't have money  

Ang alaga ko na aso...ang alaga kong aso   my pet dog

formal vs conversational   ko na conjugated to kong...

on September 28, 2014 2 likes

Hi William,

Kong is a conjugated word of Tagalog word KO (I, Me)

Examples: Mahal kong Ama (my dear father); ang mabait kong aso (my well'behaved dog)

Sometimes the Tagalog word akong shorthened like kong...example wala akong problema or wala kong problema ( I have no problem).

OUR is a pronoun, in tagalog it is "ang aming" and "natin" Examples Ang aming Ama (Our Father), Siya ang Ama natin (He is our father).

Hope it gives you clarity.

God bless!

William said:

on September 28, 2014 2 likes

Hi William,

I salute your enthusiasm in learning Filipino. Not everyone has that. Ellen and James provided you the right answer, but another challenge in the word "kong" is actually in saying it. That is because English language has minimal nasal velar sound "ng",you find some in the gerund form of the word but still it's a little bit different. So Good luck!

on September 30, 2014 1 likes

Ko and Kong are the same my dear brother.:)

Thank you so much for learning the Filipino language!!

on September 30, 2014 0 likes

Magic CF Staff said:

Hi William,

I salute your enthusiasm in learning Filipino. Not everyone has that. Ellen and James provided you the right answer, but another challenge in the word "kong" is actually in saying it. That is because English language has minimal nasal velar sound "ng",you find some in the gerund form of the word but still it's a little bit different. So Good luck!

Hi Magic

I agree Magic. Takes awhile to get ng correct... pratice, practice, practice... Cebuano and Waray-Waray for me this time... Oh my... 

on September 30, 2014 0 likes

William said:

Hi William...hope by this time you've got an answer to your question about the word--"kong" as far as I know word"kong" is only a rootword of the word "ko which also means yours or refering to yours....example--Mahal "kong" tatay...in english means--My dear Father; another set of example using word "kong"--Alam kong ikaw...in english--I know you are the one! I hope this examples may clear to you some complicated tagalog words..I'm glad you're willing to learn our Filipino language. Thank you and wish you to learn more!!!!  (fr. Eugenia)

I am on lesson four.  I am picking up some words, but when it comes to how to put them all together to make a sentence I am completely lost!

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close