Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Just curious about tv there....

Update | Cancel

Posted on March 16,2014

I was just wondering about tv there in the Philippines.  Are there just a few or are there many viewing channels? 

What kind of shows are the most popular there?   Reality shows, talk shows, sports, sitcoms, drama....???  Movie channels?

And do you have access to many American tv shows ?  

YES!

Ken said:

I was just wondering about tv there in the Philippines.  Are there just a few or are there many viewing channels? 

What kind of shows are the most popular there?   Reality shows, talk shows, sports, sitcoms, drama....???  Movie channels?

And do you have access to many American tv shows ?  

ken, when it comes to tv programs, you will not have any problem at all. We have many American pograms that will surely cater to your discriminating taste. 

Thank you for the reply, I wasn't mainly inquiring for my own self, but I was curious as to what kind of shows were available and what kind do you gals like to watch.  What are some of your favorites???

Teresita said:

ken, when it comes to tv programs, you will not have any problem at all. We have many American pograms that will surely cater to your discriminating taste. 

I was wondering something very similar Ken. Filipino's know a lot of American stuff, music, books, movies, Dr. Phil, Dr.Oz, movie stars, celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, could be viewed via the internet or is there access to this at home via local TV networks...I asked the lady I've been chatting with what kinds of TV shows she and her children enjoy and she shared with me the names of Filipino TV shows I have never seen, spoken in Tagalog, or a local language such as Cebuano, was also curious whether there is a similar TV programming line up as American. Reality TV is popular here in the U.S.A but is it popular there ? She shared with me that there is similar Reality TV programming.

I haven't asked her if reality TV is looked upon in a similar way, where folk love to hate it but still watch it regularly or in secret. With as many reality TV shows as there now are here in America a whole network could be geared toward just that alone. She shared with me names of shows she likes most, comedies, love ( or telenovelas ) and family shows all Filipino, since it was my question, Filipino programming she likes,....her children love animation, so far she buys DVD's of popular Disney or Dreamworks animated movies. In America there are a number of television networks dedicated to just cartoons...have to wonder if her children would go into overload on cartoons here in America.

Our Local channels per se are mostly in tagalog. You mind find it funny coz sometimes we dub some american movies and it's translated in tagalog.

But yes we have a number of international TV channels here in the Philippines depending on your  Cable TV Company subscription .

I don’t know exactly what shows are famous but we do watch the following if we get the chance:  “The Mentalist, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, American Idol, How I met your Mother,The Simpsons, The Voice, House, Bones, The Blacklist...

We have these movie channels : HBO, Cinemax, Jack City, Starworld and AXN ( to name a few famous ones)

We also have these channels for international news, sports and other information : CNN,CNBC, BBC, Discovery, National Geographic, Bloomberg, Fox Sports, Basketball TV, Solar Sports

We also have a bit of Cartoons : Nickelodeon , Cartoon network

Used to watch Oprah Winfrey Show but cant seem to catch it these days. 

There are more shows and channels, but these are the ones familiar and useful to me personally. 

Hope i fed a little of your curiosity ;-)

Me too, i used to watch Greys Anatomy, Kyle Ky, The Gossip Girl and Ghost Whisperer. 

M said:

Our Local channels per se are mostly in tagalog. You mind find it funny coz sometimes we dub some american movies and it's translated in tagalog.

But yes we have a number of international TV channels here in the Philippines depending on your  Cable TV Company subscription .

I don’t know exactly what shows are famous but we do watch the following if we get the chance:  “The Mentalist, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, American Idol, How I met your Mother,The Simpsons, The Voice, House, Bones, The Blacklist...

We have these movie channels : HBO, Cinemax, Jack City, Starworld and AXN ( to name a few famous ones)

We also have these channels for international news, sports and other information : CNN,CNBC, BBC, Discovery, National Geographic, Bloomberg, Fox Sports, Basketball TV, Solar Sports

We also have a bit of Cartoons : Nickelodeon , Cartoon network

Used to watch Oprah Winfrey Show but cant seem to catch it these days. 

There are more shows and channels, but these are the ones familiar and useful to me personally. 

Hope i fed a little of your curiosity ;-)

Lot's of good info there Robert, I do appreciate the indepth reply, it was what I was after.  It sounds like you have the inside scoop on things and I do hope things work out for you here on CF!

And M you are a wealth of good information too, not to mention having good taste in some of the shows that you watch.  I really like "The Mentalist" and there are some awesome singers on "The Voice"!  We've been watching a show called "24" which is great, very suspenseful and it takes many unexpected twists and turns. Oprah has her own network now, "OWN" and has something called "Soulful Sunday" that I really enjoy.  Thank you again for all the good info and time that you put into your post!

Thank you for your input too Che, I enjoy reading about everyone's taste in tv shows and movies. :)

Hey Ken, so your'e a fan of Jack Bauer too . I was hooked on that series when it was showing here 4 or 5 years ago. So now you see we also get americanized in our TV shows here LOL. To add more info, if you didnt know, almost every home here in the Philippines has a TV ( some not cable TV, just local) . Filipinos can't live without it , I think...You will find it amusing, some has unfinished roof or walls but they have TV ;-)

Glad you are interested to know the way of life of Filipinos and I was able to help you some info. 

Oh yes, I just discovered "24" recently and have seen most of the 1st season, it's a great show.  Shows such as this and "The Mentalist" are right down my alley! :)  If there are any other shows with many episodes that you or anyone else might recommend, feel free to mention them. 

It's funny about every home having a tv irregardless of anything else, I'd imagine the same thing applies to cell phones.  It's the same way here, almost everyone has a cellphone and a big screen tv nowadays no matter how poor they might be.

If only we could bring back the early pioneers and inventors and see their wonder and amazement of today's gadgets, they would freak out! lol

M said:

Hey Ken, so your'e a fan of Jack Bauer too . I was hooked on that series when it was showing here 4 or 5 years ago. So now you see we also get americanized in our TV shows here LOL. To add more info, if you didnt know, almost every home here in the Philippines has a TV ( some not cable TV, just local) . Filipinos can't live without it , I think...You will find it amusing, some has unfinished roof or walls but they have TV ;-)

Glad you are interested to know the way of life of Filipinos and I was able to help you some info. 

Ken, I hope it is okay to step in a little and comment on your TV in the Philippines topic.  I think you know (as I think I have also learned in recent months) that there is a lot of TV available in the Philippines. Movies too.  They seem to see most all of what becomes or is pop culture in places like Toronto, Los Angeles, London, and Sydney and then gets exported overseas to every market - like the consumer markets of the Philippines.

Might I suggest that, if you wish to learn more about pop culture Filipino media, a simple thing to do is switch to the Yahoo! Philippines start page and go from there.  Also YouTube.  Plenty of Filipinos have placed excerpts from Filipino TV there, movies too.

My caution to all of us is that we are supposed to be Christians.  This is a caution and line I have to draw for myself too. The shows cited above are mostly not honoring to God.  Let's not kid ourselves.  The dialog, the heavy themes, the misuse of children in these adult situations (ever more common, and abhorrent), everything oversexed now, saucy language.  I don't think God made us and gave us this great gift of life to sit in front of the TV or to spend so much time on entertaiment  period.  Can TV and broadcasting do good things?  Sure!   A great travel documentary opens our eyes to a city, region, country, island or more that we most likely will never get to visit.  A true life drama of courage and resourcefulness against adversity can be inspiring.  An instructional  video or TV show can help with everything from needed home repair smarts to knowing how to cook delicious dishes that we can use to nourish others.   All of this you know.  I am not writing something here that is novel.

My culture is on a downward spiral and a firmly anti-God, anti-family and anti-Bible campaign. It's war, actually.  This is not new.  It is over 45 years in the making.  And probalby just one big manifestation of the ongoing spiritual warfare that the Bible, specifically Paul warns us about.  Those who produce TV, movies, and pop music are at the forefront of the effort to erase God and godliness, to lampoon churchgoing Bible reading and trusting God with our lives.   Again, let's not fool ourselves.  Pop culture and pop movies & TV mostly mock God.

Can media be used for good?  Of course.  But a frank look informs us that big media is over 95% firmly in the hands of the openly and aggressively godless.  (Is this also so in the Philippines?  I hope not, but I suspect it is.)

Something to say on this:  A lot of time is spent on these CF pages talking about how a Christian couple can beat the odds and make their Christian marriage last and not go sour or the ways of divorce that now plagues our societies.  One way?  A key measure to take?   Remove that TV. (Don't go to movies either.)  People then converse, directly.

The TV or putting in a video is a cheap way to say we spend time with one another.  I think we pay a big price for this, because we miss out on the relationships we never knew we might have.   Want to help your children as they grow up in your home?   Never have a TV.  (I mean this with all my heart.)

Removing the TV won't stunt their growth or life possibilities.  It will, in all liklihood, enhance their character, their real life skills, perhaps music skills, cultivate in them a love for reading, and mean that old fashioned storytelling in the family might be a centerpiece of after dinner entertainment versus a situation comedy that will only have many cringeworthy moments with words, ideas, behavior that you do not wish for them to know, imitate.   This will not result in a dull life for your child(ren).  It could very well be the exact opposite.

The dullards I see everywhere today seem to have something much in common:  A dulling of mind and soul by pop culture.

TV robs us of our time.  Here's the cultural topic I wish to raise.  I followed the travelblog of five Dutch guys who took their first trip to the Philippines last year.  They did a great set of stories about their adventures.  Though they had never before been to the Philppines, they stayed for nearly four weeks.  To me, their most memorable "adventure" was to an island not so far from Cebu City.  About an hour (maybe a little more by ferry boat).  I am sorry. I forget the island's name.  They were on this rural island with a few towns, a few ports, some nice beaches and a few hotels for about 9-10 days. 

They rented bicycles there.  And covered every inch of the island.  And now I will come to the point "M" made above.  These five guys saw the poverty, the friendliness, but a lot of delapidated "homes."  Leaky roofs.  (It rained a lot while they were there)  Three of them are in construction.  So they actually were so moved several times as to stop and offer their physical skills to do a little patchup fixit work.  They thought it only right.  But their travelogs were always filled with this comment, something like:  "Biking back to our little hotel tonight, we started counting every place we saw that had the glow of the TV. It was dark, so very easy to spot the teltale glow of TVs.   Some of these were the same places we have seen over these last days that lack sufficient overhead roof cover, don't have proper walls or wind protection.  They have buckets about to catch the dripping water and not flood their living space floors.  Why do they live like this?  But have time for the TV?  Everyone is sitting about watching.  Even though the chairs would need a good hour or so craftsmanship of repair to be proper for sitting.  We can see the screens if we stop on our bikes.  As if the walls are paper thin or not even there.  The TVs sit on crooked plastic bottle containers.  Where's a proper table?   So many TVs.  And on so much of the time of the day.  They laugh at these shows and seem glued to them, though it seems so much like mindlessness."

I do not have their comments verbatim.  I write the above based on memory.  This is an observation they repeated.  They sometimes concluded that it seemed like escapism.

My questions:

Is what these five guys from the Netherlands observed really so often so?  Or was perhaps TV more of a diversion on this island as it was  a rather rural and quiet place?  Does the TV offer up this lethargy?  Instead of doing the things that enhance one's living spaces?  

These thoughts come to mind, were revived in my mind based upon "M's" comment two posts above this.

"M" you state that what many people can obtain is just local TV via (probably?) just the antenna built onto the TVs, right?  Maybe this is a good thing?  Because that means only 8 - 10 reliable signal channels maximum at one time?   (As you know in our decadent West, a person can easily have over 120 - 200 TV channel options)  So it might be a real blessing to just have 8 or 9 options - only.

I am dearly hoping that towns in the provinces away from the big cities of Cebu and Manila are a bit remote and removed from all of this.  Yes?  Maybe?  I truthfully do not know.  

Okay, enough of my typing.  Ken, I probably did trample too much here.  Sorry for that.  I just saw your topic here, read the comments already made, saw M's remarks, and then thought it better to just latch on here versus starting another new thread.  I hope it is okay.

Again, look at YouTube for what seems to be unending posts of short 5, 10, 15 minutes of Philippines TV programming.  Or live stream a news source like ABS-CBN. Is that the big media news source (for the whole Philippines nation) that you ladies find the most reliable news for national and international reporting?

You wrote a book Andrew! LOL . Yes most have TV but 2 local channels only- ABS-CBN and GMA. Our source of local news here aside from radio and local newspaper. The island you are pertaining to is Bohol perhaps? Remembered going there through a fast craft from Cebu and got there in 1 hour. It's amusing situation to have TV with leaking roof and all but it's sad as well. I have to admit, some uneducated ones are lazy and  give up and accept life as it is with care free attitude.  But let's look at the bright side , remember when typhoon Hyaian hit the Philippines so hard? This is just my theory, the little joy they get from TV and cellphones , somehow what makes Filipinos smiling, happy and resilient in time of trouble. Shallow? I'm not sure but there's something in us that I think is strong.despite the poverty( not to mention the frustrating government corruption) .There are lots of hard working Filipinos , farmers, carpenters, laborers , regular office workers, police and more who prioritize to send their children to school and thus the better future . 

We can only pray for a better world , and start in our own little corner. 

The caution you have drawn upon yourself and shared is noteworthy.

I am guilty I admit, that I waste some of my relaxing time on this worldly shows. But I do try to do good in everything I do. We have to personally screen what is good and bad from our exposures.how do we know happiness if we haven't had sadness? How do we good if there is no bad? We just need to know our focus. We can only wish they make more Godly programs.

Ideally we have to refrain but exposing ourselves to bad influences and spend more time on the good side? But how do we balance spiritual and worldly exposure?  Realistically speaking , most people we own a TV and watch TV , but we can only try within ourselves to know what to take in and guide the young ones. This is where parental guidance come in. Whether  we like it or not, they will be exposed to this worldly world, and it is better to be there to guide them the first time they see it. But don’t make it a habit.  Truly , you are right, God did not make us and gave us this gift of life to sit on TV and spend too much time on entertainment.

But I think Ken was mainly asking what gives us entertainment and we do need to relax and enjoy sometimes. 

Well spoken M and yes I was mainly inquiring out of curiousity what kind of shows are available there and what personally do people there enjoy watching.

Thank you for your input too Andrew.  May I clarify one thing, when I asked about shows that have many episodes, my main reason is that usually designates it being a good show due to it's duration and longevity.  I actually and am a hard working man who has little time for tv during the week, but my 19 yr old son and I do enjoy following 1 series of a show at a time.  He is a Godly young man and we usually see eye to eye on things. ( I'm very fortunate, we never argue and have a very loving peaceful household!)   I always am looking to have a series lined up once we finish with our current one. 

With prayer and proper disgression we all must decide on what's appropriate indeed. 

Thanks for the replies that everyone has given!  :)

Yes, the people who create the types of shows that we see today are responding to demand. If folk weren't watching these shows..then no network would carry them. The people make the choice not the networks. If more folk are attracted to, death, sex, drugs, and the like then that's what the media will offer as long as the people demand it, give them what they want. We live in a world where we are often having to deal with the struggle between good and bad, God and the enemy. Everyone loves to see good prevail but in order to see good win the day we have to deal with the bad. I believe deep down in every human being there is a desire to believe in God, many people struggle to come to terms with the desire to believe, let alone with believing. Many writers of these shows understand this and try to represent both sides in their stories, you'll have some characters who strongly believe in God and others who may doubt.

No one should advocate being a zombie in front of TV or computer ALL DAY watching television via the internet or doing some other thing ... a dead head with no idea of how what is being taken in has an effect on them emotionally, psychologically, spiritually...or how it distracts them from what's more important in their life. The idea is to be well-rounded. A person can like reading Chaucer, Milton, Poe,....and not let it take away from their time reading the Bible. Time spent watching television doesn't have to be nor should it be an ONLY choice of what to do, say it is a rural town in a country where television is considered a luxury, not everyone has to go inside and watch the one popular television show that comes on during that time of the day, making the whole town stand still. When I was child living in the rural south, television was in the home but I'd rather go outside and play. Does it make a person following a travel blog rather than getting out and experiencing an adventure for themselves any less well-rounded than a person who watches anothers adventure documentary on TV, reads it in a book, newspaper, or magazine ?

Television may be escapism for lots of folk whether rich or poor ( perhaps an escape from poverty for those who are poor,.... an escape from sadness or what bad their lives really are ) a way of living vicariously through the lives of others, perhaps even comparing one's life to the one on TV, and also in a sense voyuerism for many people ( a way to peek into the lives of others ) Some people may have a television on, rather than talk radio, just to break the silence when they are alone. All of this may be harmless or in some instances not. But these words that carry such negative connotation is only made more true when applied to television in cases where the person who enjoys watching is unaware of their life passing by being so absorbed in watching they are not leaving time for anything else.

Is it so bad for a family to laugh together in front of a favorite television show; to forget about troubles for an hour or two ? If it is easier to keep the television out of the home then keep it out of the home. Family is very important, it is up to the parents to create a balance in the home between all of these electronic distractions and family time.

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close