Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

What's with all the single moms?!

Update | Cancel

Posted on January 15,2014

Jane said:

For teenagers, keep them busy. How? Some comments already are presented, some sites already point it out and some organisations are out there as well as after school activities. But will they engage on those? How do we push them to participate?

For adults,  ok you controlled your hormones by not engaging to sex during your younger years, question is how do you prevent yourself from falling into the wrong guy? Do you have doubts to the person you are with right now? Then listen to others opinion around you, your parents, friends, co-workers and think why he broke up with his past relationship. Then decide. Is he the right person for you?

Then us, the single moms. We'vE been there. Each and one of us has different reasons why we chose to be single and raise our child alone. Next question is how do we deal with love again? ThiS goes with single dad too. 

This thread will continue for as long as we want. But, think first. Each and one of us has different answers for what we knows best.

Good morning! :)

To support you in 1 of your comment.... Lol!

Picture this, a very poor family living in a 'cariton' in the street or a poor family living under the bridge near estuary or river. The parents may impart their children values but due to poverty and lack of education the values imparted may be incomplete, lack or could be misleading, worst some parent may be battling w drug addiction or alcohol. Next scenario, if that poor children gets lucky, he then now study to a public school if he gets lucky then he'll finish highschool. Some wont even finish gradeschool coz as a young age the child force himself to be an adult to help his siblings moreso his parents. Surely he'll be busy finding ways to earn money than to attend this and that. Now what happened when he falls in love, due to lack of education, proper guidance, poverty, wrong environment.... Then there could be single mom/dad or if gets lucky a family with a parent young as teen and if it get to worse a big family with 8 to 12 children  and sometimes higher than the rate compare to middle class family. The cycle could repeat to them till their next generation if nothing will happen on their education and status in life.

Tess, nice profile pic! :)

on January 17, 2014 0 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

Gypsy said:

Jane said:

For teenagers, keep them busy. How? Some comments already are presented, some sites already point it out and some organisations are out there as well as after school activities. But will they engage on those? How do we push them to participate?

For adults,  ok you controlled your hormones by not engaging to sex during your younger years, question is how do you prevent yourself from falling into the wrong guy? Do you have doubts to the person you are with right now? Then listen to others opinion around you, your parents, friends, co-workers and think why he broke up with his past relationship. Then decide. Is he the right person for you?

Then us, the single moms. We'vE been there. Each and one of us has different reasons why we chose to be single and raise our child alone. Next question is how do we deal with love again? ThiS goes with single dad too. 

This thread will continue for as long as we want. But, think first. Each and one of us has different answers for what we knows best.

Good morning! :)

To support you in 1 of your comment.... Lol!

Picture this, a very poor family living in a 'cariton' in the street or a poor family living under the bridge near estuary or river. The parents may impart their children values but due to poverty and lack of education the values imparted may be incomplete, lack or could be misleading, worst some parent may be battling w drug addiction or alcohol. Next scenario, if that poor children gets lucky, he then now study to a public school if he gets lucky then he'll finish highschool. Some wont even finish gradeschool coz as a young age the child force himself to be an adult to help his siblings moreso his parents. Surely he'll be busy finding ways to earn money than to attend this and that. Now what happened when he falls in love, due to lack of education, proper guidance, poverty, wrong environment.... Then there could be single mom/dad or if gets lucky a family with a parent young as teen and if it get to worse a big family with 8 to 12 children  and sometimes higher than the rate compare to middle class family. The cycle could repeat to them till their next generation if nothing will happen on their education and status in life.

Tess, nice profile pic! :)

Ughhhhh!! I wish we could help our young filipino children to come out from this pathetic situation. Anyway, I will humbly embrace my compliments Gyps, thanks!.

Hi Kevin ;

There is a system that is tried and proven to work.  But so far no one here has even gotten close to mentioning it.  Still very far away.

Thanks for that story.  The message seems to be that there this cannot be controlled, that there is no solution.  Now, I have a story for you.

I had a Phils lady staying with me here in Thailand before, helping take care my daughter and business also.  She is 31 years old and a college graduate.  One day she was riding on a trike here, and the Thai driver man tried to sweet talk her.  But since she cannot speak Thai, he couldn't work his magic haha!  So he SANG a Thai love song to her!  When she got back to our house, she was so thrilled and excited that this man sang a song to her.  She was in high speed mode, her heart going pitter patter.  I had to shake her, and I said "MELANIE!  Do you know why he did that?"   and she said "No."  I said "Because he has found that it WORKS!  He wants to get into your pants, and he KNOWS WHAT WORKS!" 

I continued "Do you think you can have a successful relationship with a guy like that?  C'mon Melanie!  He will just go down the block and sing to the next girl!  Your relationship will be headaches and heartaches!"  It SHOCKED me that a lady 31 years old college graduate did not even have a basic understanding of the QUALITIES to look for in a man. And the reason is that NO ONE had TAUGHT her these simple things.  If I didn't intervene, she could be head over heels in love with TROUBLE.  And Melanie is 31 years old and a college graduate.  Do you think a young girl can resist this without solid and continually re-enforced guidance?

Now, in case anyone is wondering, the correct response to a guy like that is: "You are probably a very nice guy, but I am not interested to get to know a GUY THAT SINGS TO SOMEONE HE DOESN"T EVEN KNOW!!".  Even my daughter knows this, because I have been teaching her things like this since she was a baby.

So very sorry to be blunt about it, no Kevin, I do not agree that this is some mysterious force that cannot be understood or controlled, that nothing can be done. Our girls are getting involved with the wrong guys, and there IS SOMETHING we can do about it!  From where I am standing, we as a society are doing a very poor job of it.  And our children are paying a very high price.  So sad to watch it, it is not their fault, it is OUR fault!  Sincere thanks for participating in the forums.  Take care and God Bless!

Kevin said:

...cut...Its outside of our control its all about traffic in the areas nearby. I dont recall what the solution was any longer just the problem posed and that the obvious tried and true solutions did not work....cut...

on January 17, 2014 1 likes

Hi Gypsy, ok thanks for this viewpoint, but Sweden is a rich country and does not have ANY of the problems you mention and they have the HIGHEST un-wed live births.  So it appears to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that poverty is not the main cause of this problem.  It must be something else.  But what?  Take care and God Bless!

Gypsy said:

Picture this, a very poor family living in a 'cariton' in the street or a poor family living under the bridge near estuary or river. The parents may impart their children values but due to poverty and lack of education ...cut...

So what is that system mr. Peter? Share it with us.

Peter said:

Hi Kevin ;

There is a system that is tried and proven to work.  But so far no one here has even gotten close to mentioning it.  Still very far away.

Thanks for that story.  The message seems to be that there this cannot be controlled, that there is no solution.  Now, I have a story for you.

I had a Phils lady staying with me here in Thailand before, helping take care my daughter and business also.  She is 31 years old and a college graduate.  One day she was riding on a trike here, and the Thai driver man tried to sweet talk her.  But since she cannot speak Thai, he couldn't work his magic haha!  So he SANG a Thai love song to her!  When she got back to our house, she was so thrilled and excited that this man sang a song to her.  She was in high speed mode, her heart going pitter patter.  I had to shake her, and I said "MELANIE!  Do you know why he did that?"   and she said "No."  I said "Because he has found that it WORKS!  He wants to get into your pants, and he KNOWS WHAT WORKS!" 

I continued "Do you think you can have a successful relationship with a guy like that?  C'mon Melanie!  He will just go down the block and sing to the next girl!  Your relationship will be headaches and heartaches!"  It SHOCKED me that a lady 31 years old college graduate did not even have a basic understanding of the QUALITIES to look for in a man. And the reason is that NO ONE had TAUGHT her these simple things.  If I didn't intervene, she could be head over heels in love with TROUBLE.  And Melanie is 31 years old and a college graduate.  Do you think a young girl can resist this without solid and continually re-enforced guidance?

Now, in case anyone is wondering, the correct response to a guy like that is: "You are probably a very nice guy, but I am not interested to get to know a GUY THAT SINGS TO SOMEONE HE DOESN"T EVEN KNOW!!".  Even my daughter knows this, because I have been teaching her things like this since she was a baby.

So very sorry to be blunt about it, no Kevin, I do not agree that this is some mysterious force that cannot be understood or controlled, that nothing can be done. Our girls are getting involved with the wrong guys, and there IS SOMETHING we can do about it!  From where I am standing, we as a society are doing a very poor job of it.  And our children are paying a very high price.  So sad to watch it, it is not their fault, it is OUR fault!  Sincere thanks for participating in the forums.  Take care and God Bless!

Kevin said:

...cut...Its outside of our control its all about traffic in the areas nearby. I dont recall what the solution was any longer just the problem posed and that the obvious tried and true solutions did not work....cut...

Kevin said:

..cut.. Life is what it is. There is a whole heap of reasons as i said before about why there are so many single mothers. So many seperated women.

Hi Again Kevin, not picking on you, appreciate your input in this important matter, just that I need to address this point.  Everyone keeps saying there are many reasons.  OK great.  What are they?  Yes I agree that the SPECIFIC circumstances in each case are different and many, but the root causes are remarkably similar.  I have take the liberty to make a list of the causes of single moms, anyone feel free to add to this list any that I have forgotten:

1) Didn't really know the person.  Got involved with wrong person.
2) Victim of rape.
3) Widowed.
4) He/she was an abuser/batterer ==> see (1).
5) He/she had another women/men (adulterer) ==> see (1).
6) He/she was secretly gay ==> see (1).
7) He/she did strange things in the bedroom ==> see (1).
8) He/she did drugs ==> see (1).
9) He/she wanted to be alone ==> see (1).
10) He/she didn't want children ==> see (1).
11) He/she was mean/nasty ==> see (1).
12) He/she was a criminal/evil ==> see (1).
13) He/she had bad friends ==> see (1).
14) He/she had bad family ==> see (1).
15) He/she doesn't love me anymore ==> see (1).
16) He/she is lazy/no job ==> see (1).
17) He/she wants no part in raising a family ==> see (1).
18) He/she doesn't want to see the children ==> see (1).
19) He/she disappeared in the middle of the night ==> see (1).

Please feel free to add any reasons that I have forgotten.  When you get done, you will see that 90% of the time, the root cause is reason (1).  So if we could fix that, we could fix 90% of the problem, right? 

So that is the important question:  how to make sure our young people are not getting involved with the wrong people?  And there IS an answer, and no one has gotten close to the answer yet.  Take care and God Bless!

Peter said:

Hi Kevin ;

Kevin said:

Hello Peter,

Unfair.

You have selectively quoted (and accordingly misrepresented) what I said.

You may have missed my earlier post citing  naivite. That sounds like what you are talking about. For your information I said:"There is more of course: naivity; poverty - lack of other things to do - hard circumstances so need some loving; many work away from  home at too early an age; the list is endless. But there are so many because of 1 above and 2 above. The general level of education on this site is challengingly low".

I have also repeatedly referred to love love love. "they seek it here, they seek it there, they seek it everywhere,..." like most people especially youth.

Your "interpretation of the message" in my story is ok, but not quite. There are some things we can control and they may not always solve the problem. Some things are out of our control. 

Be as blunt as you like, no problem.

The singing trike man, a great story.

I have not suggested that it is a mysterious force. I have repeatedly said it  is love love love, and as I said "sweet words" (that may have been on a different thread cannot recall). That also has been used by me in the post(s). Love Love Love and naivite sounds suspiciously like your singing man on a trike, hoping his magic will work again. That your example deals with a 31 year old drives my point about naivite even further. Filipina women (excluding the more educated and financial ones) that I have met are a little more naive than most that I have met. Sorry ladies.

A comment I have frequently seen on the net and heard through friends is "I like my banana peeled". If you get it good, if not ok too. However that drives home naivite and education absolutely.

Whilst abstinence is best, I stand by what I have said. Condoms, spermicides and other chemicals, education and practical solutions will often save the day. Most of those singles with children (that I am familiar with which is significant , but not huge numbers) are to young girls, not more wily 25 plus year old women.

I am not sure - but I guess naivite plus sweet words does make 3.

I agree with you about it being the fault of the boomers. That is, us.

To the extent that you say "teach your children" (sounds like Paul Simon) it's obvious, and I agree, it should be done, and a lot, and even sex education in schools would help. However I only assume that the teaching experience in the home is lacking, I do not know. The Filipinas I know or chat to wherever,  are usually more educated or financial or both,  than the majority on this site.  Having said that, it is odd that even among this group there is a greater percentage of women with children out of wedlock (prior to wedlock) than I would have imagined. So yes it is a different universe.

When the more educated (just degrees and the like I mean) and more financial (I dont mean rich) are getting pregnant it does set up questions about what is actually happening in the social structure.

I have spoken with many young girls (in Australia) as I was a teacher in my previous career and also an adult so had many friends with daughters. They get the idea "get to know who he is first". The girls I am talking about are seriously upmarket in finance and education. Of course they dont follow the advice. Most, even though the message is often driven home regularly, simply ignore and press on. Whose fault? Well pregnancy seldom results for these; its usually the lower socio-economic groups who actually get pregnant.

So whilst I sure agree with your basic premise that they should be educated in the home, its clear that that is not enough (clear in my view) and so practical solutions need to be instilled.

on January 17, 2014 2 likes

Peter said:

Kevin said:

..cut.. Life is what it is. There is a whole heap of reasons as i said before about why there are so many single mothers. So many seperated women.

Hi Again Kevin, not picking on you, appreciate your input in this important matter, just that I need to address this point.  Everyone keeps saying there are many reasons.  OK great.  What are they?  Yes I agree that the SPECIFIC circumstances in each case are different and many, but the root causes are remarkably similar.  I have take the liberty to make a list of the causes of single moms, anyone feel free to add to this list any that I have forgotten:

2) Victim of rape.
3) Widowed.
4) He/she was an abuser/batterer ==> see (1).
5) He/she had another women/men (adulterer) ==> see (1).
6) He/she was secretly gay ==> see (1).
7) He/she did strange things in the bedroom ==> see (1).
8) He/she did drugs ==> see (1).
9) He/she wanted to be alone ==> see (1).
10) He/she didn't want children ==> see (1).
11) He/she was mean/nasty ==> see (1).
12) He/she was a criminal/evil ==> see (1).
13) He/she had bad friends ==> see (1).
14) He/she had bad family ==> see (1).
15) He/she doesn't love me anymore ==> see (1).
16) He/she is lazy/no job ==> see (1).
17) He/she wants no part in raising a family ==> see (1).
18) He/she doesn't want to see the children ==> see (1).

Please feel free to add any reasons that I have forgotten.  When you get done, you will see that 90% of the time, the root cause is reason (1).  So if we could fix that, we could fix 90% of the problem, right? 

So that is the important question:  how to make sure our young people are not getting involved with the wrong people?  And there IS an answer, and no one has gotten close to the answer yet.  Take care and God Bless!

Hello Peter,

I dont feel picked on, bring it on, my only problem is time. I still have some reviews to do for myself of some comments made by Steve in relation to another matter (thread).

In my view your list, other than your first and last points,  is a list of specifics that are not really the main game.

You said in your list:

The other 17, in my view are specific examples. The two relevant reasons you gave, in my view, are:

a. Did'nt get to know the person: In other words verify and qualify as you said in your Trike story; and

b. He left because he could. One can know someone well and still they decamp.

In the face of modern life even inthe Phils, knowledge of the other person and startegies are insufficient.

I agree with getting to know someone first. But still and anyway and in any event etc etc etc, the problem is love love love. As I said - they seek it here they seek it there they seek it everywhere (Scarlet Pimpernell not sure!), like most people  do.

However, youth is naive; youth is immortal.

Youth thinks, it's ok, and nothing can go wrong.

The desire for love is insatiable; and  sweet words can overcome (for example the singing trike man). Worse, some alcohol,  some sun sand and surf, some controlled substances, a party atmosphere, in combination or separately can lead to spur of the moment decisions. These decisions may have consequences. They know it when they are calm. That is the issue of the gate story. There are some things which are controlled and some which are not.

Your advice about getting to know the other person is sound advice, and developing strategies is equally sound. It does however, in my view,  form part of the education debate and should be in the home (I agree) and also, in my view, in schools. Having educated them and helped them to develop strategies it still needs a gatekeeper. Since abstinence can fail, since strategies can be overcome,  I suggest a condom as the gatekeeper,  and that they should be readily and cheaply available.

A Story about that:

Education is deeper than:  "now kiddies this is a picture of some grown people. This is a man and this is a penis and this is a woman and this  is a vagina and this is a baby. This is a picture of the man and the woman later, they are both sick. Now, this is a condom.  If you put that in that without that on that you may get that or that. Do you want that or that?".

Education at home is deeper than just a few strategies. I remember when the son of my ex was about 14, tall and something of an adonis and seriously intelligent too. By the way he was a committed atheist, his parents were christians and so was his sister. He was not opposed to Christianity, but did not believe it one jot. If God or religion had been introduced to the conversation he would have laughed.

I spoke to him about various "thats". I equipped him with some of that. I said if you put that in that make sure you have that on that because you still must go to  university and it may be that you will change your mind about that word love and you really dont want that or that and especially that.

I also told him, love is possible with many, it may or may not lead to marriage, so choose wisely: start with the pretty ones, weed out the intellectually challenged, weed out the financially troubled, weed out the behaviourally stupid, and if you really must put that in that with or without that then that is your problem but if you use that that gives you a choice about that and that and saves you from that. That was my advice about that. Get to know the girl first and in any event take precautions. (regarding the selection process I advised, why not he was from an educated professional family with assets and there are many others of the other gender with the same situation).

In my view pregnancy is caused by lack of contraception, and if it is not cheaply and easily available then the management is at fault.

People are weak and even with the best of intentions and clear strategies things can go wrong. Naivite and the desire for love.

That is the way of it, in my view,  in the year of Our Lord 2014.

Hi Everyone,

All been said here are our own comments and opinions and I believed that all had been taken ...can we take a break???

The question here : What's with all the single moms?

Answer : A baby, a child, children, without a father, or a father whose gone astray,  that's why they are called single Moms.

kalokah!!! Seriously, this is a joke! 

Sorry! :)

Seriously again, they fall in love to the wrong man.

Ellen said:

Hi Everyone,

All been said here are our own comments and opinions and I believed that all had been taken ...can we take a break???

Answer : A baby, a child, children, without a father, or a father whose gone astray,  that's why they are called single Moms.

Hi Ellen,

as i read the comment by Tommy (the OP) he is asking "why or how come" and it seems to me most comments have been on point and different views are emerging.

Sorry jokingly replied the title.....

and I did not finish yet, I have a serious answer on that.....

Seriously....I fall in love, a right love  to a wrong man....my personal experienced.

Kevin said:
Ellen said:

Hi Everyone,

Hi Ellen,

as i read the comment by Tommy (the OP) he is asking "why or how come" and it seems to me most comments have been on point and different views are emerging.

But Mr. Peter, we don't live in Sweden, we live in the Philippines in Southeast Asia, and most single mom here in CF lives in the Philippines. So if Sweden is a rich country, then poverty is not a problem, how about the Philippines which is not a rich country? Yes, poverty may not be the main reason, but for sure it is one of the reason here in the Philippines. The poor people I'm pertaining, will probably buy food instead of contraceptives, or rather buy food instead of getting married and if the two people involved decides to separate and since they are not married, hello to single mom/dad. If we deal with culture, beliefs, attitude, I might well can say that the reason for Luzon, maybe different from Visaya and to Mindanao if we'll just dig deeper, how much more for the Philippines, to Sweden and to other country. The reasons we need to evaluate or pertain should be based or come from Asia or better yet from the Philippines, since the single mom in CF they are pertaining mostly live in the Philippines. Okie... God bless!

Peter said:

Hi Gypsy, ok thanks for this viewpoint, but Sweden is a rich country and does not have ANY of the problems you mention and they have the HIGHEST un-wed live births.  So it appears to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that poverty is not the main cause of this problem.  It must be something else.  But what?  Take care and God Bless!

Gypsy said:

Picture this, a very poor family living in a 'cariton' in the street or a poor family living under the bridge near estuary or river. The parents may impart their children values but due to poverty and lack of education ...cut...

Tess said:

Gypsy said:

I guess to know what are the top reason in a "single mother" case is to have it surveyed, make a survey form and have it answered to ONLY all single moms, but even if we know the outcome surely the case of 1 is different from the case of the other. We can't just put the blame all on a parent. No one is perfect. Even if the parent did their best to teach their teens the right value some may still commit pre-marital sex could be due to hormones, peers and so on...What about those rape victims which resulted to unwanted child? There could be so many reasons, could be the whole society, could be the whole system, the church, the government, poverty, lack of education, and so on.

What's done is done. Maybe we need to focus on how to save the teens of today. But how? What can we do with poverty? If the government deals with this by advocacing contraceptives and such surely some church will contradict this because of "pre-marital sex". To solve it by havin a "sex education" in school (public and private) as well as to balance it with religion with topic about pre-marital sex, chastity, abstinence can be a big help i guess.

Hi Gyps, I like your closer image, what a cute face...I wish I have that beauty..lol.

Thank you Tess! I just read this... hehe.. it's just all in the angle, lolz. There is 1 pic I wanna post (Jaane saw it already), but got rejected twice, maybe I can't post studio-like pic.  You too are beautiful in your own. :)

Ellen said:

Hi Everyone,

Hi Ate Ellen, hehe... icebreaker. ;-)

hahaha ....corny....corny ang corny ..corny ko! :)

Gypsy said:
Ellen said:

Hi Everyone,

Hi Ate Ellen, hehe... icebreaker. ;-)

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close