Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Will we see Filipinos at the Sochi Winter Olympics as competitors in various sports?

Update | Cancel

Posted on January 13,2014

Everyone knows of the International Olympic Committee and its now regularly scheduled Summer and Winter Olympics as these are world events that get a lot of international media attention.  I think also that most recognize that the IOC's Summer Olympics involve more athletes, coaches, and teams - due to the simple fact that many of the world's countries are not set in climates more friendly toward winter-esque sports.

However, countries like Australia, Brasil, Mexico and others do send some athletes to compete with all the others for winter games.

I confess I have not paid that much attention to overall Philippines involvement in Olympics of the past.   Though, as I think of it, I do recall  Filipino boxers, wrestlers, volleyball teams, basketball players, swimmers, divers, some track & field, gymnasts, rowers, archers, and other sports that mostly fit the Summer Games.

So to my questions:  Who can we look for to represent the Philippines at the Russia Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics that starts in three weeks?   What Filipinos are going to Russia to compete?  (Who should we be cheering for ;)  Maybe some ice skaters?  Speed skaters?  Does a big sports event like the Winter Olympics get a lot of attention in the Philippines media or perhaps far less so than what was paid to the Summer Games, for example, last in London in August 2012?

I look forward to hearing from you on this.  As I hope that all recognize that sports is not just at all about sports.  It is a window on our cultures, societal values, habits, hobbies, pastimes, etc.    Thank you.

on January 13, 2014 1 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

Andrew said:

Everyone knows of the International Olympic Committee and its now regularly scheduled Summer and Winter Olympics as these are world events that get a lot of international media attention.  I think also that most recognize that the IOC's Summer Olympics involve more athletes, coaches, and teams - due to the simple fact that many of the world's countries are not set in climates more friendly toward winter-esque sports.

However, countries like Australia, Brasil, Mexico and others do send some athletes to compete with all the others for winter games.

I confess I have not paid that much attention to overall Philippines involvement in Olympics of the past.   Though, as I think of it, I do recall  Filipino boxers, wrestlers, volleyball teams, basketball players, swimmers, divers, some track & field, gymnasts, rowers, archers, and other sports that mostly fit the Summer Games.

So to my questions:  Who can we look for to represent the Philippines at the Russia Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics that starts in three weeks?   What Filipinos are going to Russia to compete?  (Who should we be cheering for ;)  Maybe some ice skaters?  Speed skaters?  Does a big sports event like the Winter Olympics get a lot of attention in the Philippines media or perhaps far less so than what was paid to the Summer Games, for example, last in London in August 2012?

I look forward to hearing from you on this.  As I hope that all recognize that sports is not just at all about sports.  It is a window on our cultures, societal values, habits, hobbies, pastimes, etc.    Thank you.

Sure right even the aussies have problems and they have some snow in places for a while.

on January 13, 2014 0 likes

I remember the Jamaicans had a Bobsled team a couple of Olympics ago :)

on January 13, 2014 0 likes

Morning.

Here is what I read:

Martinez began skating in 2005 at a shopping mall ice rink.[1] He trains mainly in Manila and also spends several months a year in California with coach John Nicks, and formerly, Ilia Kulik and Peter Kongkasem.

At the 2012 Crystal Skate of Romania, Martinez won his first senior international title, also a first for the Philippines.

Martinez finished 5th in his second appearance at the 2013 World Junior Championships and set a new personal best overall score of 191.64 points.

His name is Michael Christian Martinez.

on January 13, 2014 1 likes

Maia, my response to you is long, long overdue.  I apologize for that.  Note how the scoffers above seem to know so little.  And yet you knew exactly who I was hoping would get mentioned here, Michael Martinez.  I am sure now that many, many people know of him. He was shown prominently marching in with the Philippines flag at the opening ceremonies.  All by himself this time.  I think it will be different four years hence when these games will be hosted in South Korea.  He will have company.

Maia, I am indeed sorry for this late reply.  You were quite right.  And I think young Mr. Martinez is now a Twitter and web hit.  At one point in the games, the total international web activity of viewers at home (wherever they live around the globe) had the Philippines as the source of the fourth most (in the world!) internet activity for those seeking updates and information the Winter Olympics in Sochi.  That occurred in an international measurement taken one week into the games - so one week after Michael marched in proudly at the opening ceremonies.

I think we will see many Filipinos participating for the Brasil games in 2016.   Take care, Maia.  Thanks for taking this topic seriously when others just saw it as a moment to be scoffers.

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close