Call us: (800) 578-1469

Christian Filipina Forum

User driven knowledge base

Aid for the Christian man contemplating a OFW Christian woman

Update | Cancel

Posted on January 13,2014

It does seem like there are a lot of CF site participants who are OFW women, yes?  I think so.

It certainly makes it interesting or even intriguing, the fact that many of you are from very different, very exotic places around the globe.  And that some have had already multiple experiences living and working abroad.

Thus, I ask your assistance.  Not just for me, but I think for many good males who come here and are not so acquainted with the various aspects of trying to strike up a friendship and potential relationship with a woman living in an OFW situation.

In short, help make the good guys here much smarter on all things OFW related -- so they can  a) find you faster, b) start corresponding with you sooner, c) come see you - and not have to wait, and d) start a life together with you....(yes - TBD)

Questions a man has spring to mind like:

1.  How long is the typical OFW contract?   Are the contracts done by years or by number of months?

2.   How much or how little say does the Filipina have with both her employer and the contracting agency to  either have or not have the work contract extended?  (Can a Filipina find herself in a situation where her 3 year work abroad experience is done, her employer is very happy with her, the employer wants to extend her, AND she cannot say, "No, I want to return to the Philippines now."  Can such a scenario occur?)

3.  May a man come visit a woman with relative ease in these places and expect to have some quality time with her?  Or would their time together  too often be limited by not just an inflexible work schedule but by often not so compliant bosses?

4.  Can an OFW contract be - with relative ease - terminated well before its contractural end date?   If so, how easily?  What conditions are needed to do this?  Or is this rather rare?

5.  A Christian OFW may indeed be interested in a more swifter relationship with a Chrisitan man leading to matrimony but the employer and OFW contract agency are not - for obvious reasons.  The employer is not so keen on losing an already trained and acclimated employee.  How can a Christian couple seriously considering engagement to be married deal with this?   Have you seen or experienced overseas employers or the agencies actually work to thwart a woman hoping to get closer to her man?

6.  Do you see other Filipinas around you getting out of their OFW work situations/contracts early and returning to the Philippines - permanently?   If so, in what sorts of situations are they able to terminate the contract ahead of schedule?

7.  Do you earn vacation days while working these OFW positions?  Yes, I think so.  So is it possible to just use 3 or 4 days of vacation if your "very interested in you Christian good guy male" comes to visit you in your OFW location?

8.  It is now year 2014.   Modern communication is everywhere in our world.  The internet and phone lines and mobile phones are everywhere.   Yet can there still be various OFW situatons for Filipinos where communications back to the Philippines and, yes, with a European "very interested, really good guy male" are difficult?  Hampered?  Inconsistent?  Limited? (as in - useage only once or twice per week maximum)

Thank you for the help with these topics and questions.  It is much appreciated.  I think that help in all of this can illuminate a lot of things that most men from Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, etc. just don't know about OFW -- and how to properly court a fine lady who is presently in an OFW situation.  Salamat.

on January 13, 2014 1 likes

Reply with quote | Like | Edit | Delete | Inappropriate?

Andrew said:

It does seem like there are a lot of CF site participants who are OFW women, yes?  I think so.

It certainly makes it interesting or even intriguing, the fact that many of you are from very different, very exotic places around the globe.  And that some have had already multiple experiences living and working abroad.

Thus, I ask your assistance.  Not just for me, but I think for many good males who come here and are not so acquainted with the various aspects of trying to strike up a friendship and potential relationship with a woman living in an OFW situation.

In short, help make the good guys here much smarter on all things OFW related -- so they can  a) find you faster, b) start corresponding with you sooner, c) come see you - and not have to wait, and d) start a life together with you....(yes - TBD)

1.  How long is the typical OFW contract?   Are the contracts done by years or by number of months?

2.   How much or how little say does the Filipina have with both her employer and the contracting agency to  either have or not have the work contract extended?  (Can a Filipina find herself in a situation where her 3 year work abroad experience is done, her employer is very happy with her, the employer wants to extend her, AND she cannot say, "No, I want to return to the Philippines now."  Can such a scenario occur?)

3.  May a man come visit a woman with relative ease in these places and expect to have some quality time with her?  Or would their time together  too often be limited by not just an inflexible work schedule but by often not so compliant bosses?

4.  Can an OFW contract be - with relative ease - terminated well before its contractural end date?   If so, how easily?  What conditions are needed to do this?  Or is this rather rare?

5.  A Christian OFW may indeed be interested in a more swifter relationship with a Chrisitan man leading to matrimony but the employer and OFW contract agency are not - for obvious reasons.  The employer is not so keen on losing an already trained and acclimated employee.  How can a Christian couple seriously considering engagement to be married deal with this?   Have you seen or experienced overseas employers or the agencies actually work to thwart a woman hoping to get closer to her man?

6.  Do you see other Filipinas around you getting out of their OFW work situations/contracts early and returning to the Philippines - permanently?   If so, in what sorts of situations are they able to terminate the contract ahead of schedule?

7.  Do you earn vacation days while working these OFW positions?  Yes, I think so.  So is it possible to just use 3 or 4 days of vacation if your "very interested in you Christian good guy male" comes to visit you in your OFW location?

8.  It is now year 2014.   Modern communication is everywhere in our world.  The internet and phone lines and mobile phones are everywhere.   Yet can there still be various OFW situatons for Filipinos where communications back to the Philippines and, yes, with a European "very interested, really good guy male" are difficult?  Hampered?  Inconsistent?  Limited? (as in - useage only once or twice per week maximum)

Thank you for the help with these topics and questions.  It is much appreciated.  I think that help in all of this can illuminate a lot of things that most men from Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, etc. just don't know about OFW -- and how to properly court a fine lady who is presently in an OFW situation.  Salamat.

Hi Andrew,

Yes! you can find OFW around the globe simply because they earn better than here.You can notice that from landbase to sea base,men and women working abroad in order to uplift the living status of the family.Some succeed,some failed but the fighting spirit of filipinos is always there and never give up!coz we knew that GOD is with us all the time.

In addition to that OFWs should aware about OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration)an attached agency of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE),the lead government agency tasked to protect and promote the welfare and well- being of OFWs and their dependents.OFWs make sure to register before leaving the country just incase something happen to them in their country of destination OWWA can help them and their family can ask assistance too.

With regards to your questions i just base this on my experienced, it barries from the country of destination,contract, and type of job.

1.If hire through agency and type of job is domestic helper in Middle East usually 2years.If the applicant can't finish here contract mostly employers will demand to pay their expenses.

2.Yes,that scenario happened specially in Gulf countries.But she/he has the right to speak out and fight for it to go home once contract finish free of charge.Once the contract done and the employer insisted to stay but the employee dnt want to to renew they can't do anything for that but send her/him home otherwise the employee become illegal.

3.If the employee is live-in and in Gulf countries with Muslim families its not allowed to visit man to woman not unless if they are legally married accompanied with their marriage certificate as a proof.With relatives, yes, female only and not all are lucky to have day off but with Europian and American employers wow!!!thumbs up :D

4.Yes!OFW can be terminated and it depend's upon the reasons.It's better than to put in jail  then deport.

5.Even the employer dnt want to loose her trained employee but the employee done her contract they should set down and talk about it seriously,honestly and in a nice way.The employee should tell the truth and reasons of not coming back or not staying and working with them anymore.Everything is negotiable,its better to tell them than to wait and expect u to stay or comeback  but at the end employee didnt show up.If the employer like her so much the way she work with them for sure they will happy for the next journey and  steps of her life.

6.Yes!but its a case to case bases(same like when a boss fired the employee).If the OFW banned to enter the country again then something not really good with the record.

7.In Gulf countries and working in company they have vacation for few days after Ramadan while in working position.

8.We are in the modern world but once the OFW go back to her/his homeland not all can avail/afford those technologies because what comes first in our mind is the basic needs than that.But the best thing is always find a ways to keep in touch to whom she wanted too.

Lastly hope i answered your query Mr.Andrew not all but a few maybe hehe and more to fallows from other OFWs too.

on January 13, 2014 0 likes

Hi Andrew,

I will try my best to answer your question,base on my own experience!

1.  How long is the typical OFW contract?   Are the contracts done by years or by number of months?

The typical contract for OFW is 2years . Here,(my location)every year we are given 7days vacation leave .

2.   How much or how little say does the Filipina have with both her employer and the contracting agency to  either have or not have the work contract extended?  (Can a Filipina find herself in a situation where her 3 year work abroad experience is done, her employer is very happy with her, the employer wants to extend her, AND she cannot say, "No, I want to return to the Philippines now."  Can such a scenario occur?)

In my part I choose to signs for another contract (without agency,d-hired) I and my employer has very good working relationship.If  the employee would not like to extend the contract the employer has nothing to do with it,they must release the worker.

• Yes,they can visit! but I don't know with some employers if they allowed it

4.  Can an OFW contract be - with relative ease - terminated well before its contractural end date?   If so, how easily?  What conditions are needed to do this?  Or is this rather rare?

Termination of contract,you must have a valid reason why you terminate your contract,(no fees to be collected)

5.  A Christian OFW may indeed be interested in a more swifter relationship with a Chrisitan man leading to matrimony but the employer and OFW contract agency are not - for obvious reasons.  The employer is not so keen on losing an already trained and acclimated employee.  How can a Christian couple seriously considering engagement to be married deal with this?   Have you seen or experienced overseas employers or the agencies actually work to thwart a woman hoping to get closer to her man?

Me,myself lol my boss and her friend always find me a date (not interested)

6.  Do you see other Filipinas around you getting out of their OFW work situations/contracts early and returning to the Philippines - permanently?   If so, in what sorts of situations are they able to terminate the contract ahead of schedule?

Yes,there are! Reason,OFW want to get married,say a white lie why you want to go home permanently.

7.  Do you earn vacation days while working these OFW positions?  Yes, I think so.  So is it possible to just use 3 or 4 days of vacation if your "very interested in you Christian good guy male" comes to visit you in your OFW location?

Yes!if an OFW has vacation we are allowed to go home . So you can meet her in the Philippines  with her family.

8.  It is now year 2014.   Modern communication is everywhere in our world.  The internet and phone lines and mobile phones are everywhere.   Yet can there still be various OFW situatons for Filipinos where communications back to the Philippines and, yes, with a European "very interested, really good guy male" are difficult?  Hampered?  Inconsistent?  Limited? (as in - useage only once or twice per week maximum)

Here,were all allowed to use communication devices,no limits as long as u know your limitation!

- See more at: https://www.christianfilipina.com/forum/thread.php?id=33647#sthash.G9Ja0kX0.dpuf

Hope,I cleared some issue here about us(OFW),its late here so I have to say Goodnight and God bless to all!

Thanks for spending your time. Andrew for knowing what an  OFW is!Goodluck .

For #3, if the woman is working in a muslim country, from what I read, it is almost impossible for a man to be with a woman unless they are relatives or married.

Yvens said:

For #3, if the woman is working in a muslim country, from what I read, it is almost impossible for a man to be with a woman unless they are relatives or married.

Your right Yvens ,that's how strict Muslim country are.

on January 14, 2014 0 likes

I would like to share my situation from "The land of the rising sun". I thank God for this job He blessed me in this country. I found this job without the help of any employment agency and I have nothing to complain. After many years experiencing different kind of trades. I never gave up! for I know the best is yet to come and it did. I work in this school for almost four years now. My contract runs every two years and if I want to terminate it for whatever reason they will not stop you as long as you follow the right procedure written in the contract! Just like any normal company policy, the employees give the company 1 or 2 months notice.

With regards to friends or family coming for a visit, we are free to entertain or accommodate them in our own apartment or go out with them after working hours. It's almost the same as I am in my home country. We have given vacation when the school have a break! But then again, this type of agreement and laws varries from countries to countries or company policies. The girls who are working here under designated visas get more or less the same treatment. Some who are married with children can bring their kids here and send them to school here if they can afford to pay the fees. And their children speaks multiple languages. For mothers who's husband left working in the Philippines and if the wife got the job while pregnant of their child choose to give birth here she can do so! This country is very lenient for OFW. They allow families of OFW to spend time with them, while here as long as they don't break the law. That's all from the rising sun...I am smiling. Thank God.

Tess said:

I would like to share my situation from "The land of the rising sun". I thank God for this job He blessed me in this country. I found this job without the help of any employment agency and I have nothing to complain. After many years experiencing different kind of trades. I never gave up! for I know the best is yet to come and it did. I work in this school for almost four years now. My contract runs every two years and if I want to terminate it for whatever reason they will not stop you as long as you follow the right procedure written in the contract! Just like any normal company policy, the employees give the company 1 or 2 months notice.

With regards to friends or family coming for a visit, we are free to entertain or accommodate them in our own apartment or go out with them after working hours. It's almost the same as I am in my home country. We have given vacation when the school have a break! But then again, this type of agreement and laws varries from countries to countries or company policies. The girls who are working here under designated visas get more or less the same treatment. Some who are married with children can bring their kids here and send them to school here if they can afford to pay the fees. And their children speaks multiple languages. For mothers who's husband left working in the Philippines and if the wife got the job while pregnant of their child choose to give birth here she can do so! This country is very lenient for OFW. They allow families of OFW to spend time with them, while here as long as they don't break the law. That's all from the rising sun...I am smiling. Thank God.

Greetings from the island of Formosa,how's the rising sun? My Bosses is going there this coming Jan 25,Im left with her mother dear (crossing my finger I could visit there)

More blessing <3

Oh my Cecile dear, please come along so we could meet in person. I would love to see you.

HCecile said:

Tess said:

Greetings from the island of Formosa,how's the rising sun? My Bosses is going there this coming Jan 25,Im left with her mother dear (crossing my finger I could visit there)

More blessing <3

on January 14, 2014 1 likes

Being an OFW entails a lot of hardwork, patience and determination. But most of all it takes a lot of prayers and strong faith in God.

I have been working in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for many many years now. I would like to share my insights on this thread based on my own experiences in this land. 

1. The typical/initial OFW contract is 2 years. In private companies it is renewable every 2 years. In my current work which is a government company, it is renewable yearly after the initial 2 years, thereby allowing me for annual vacations. But I chose to go every 2 years to save more. I just came back 2days ago. Praise God! Next time, I will take my vacations annually. Being with my family is paramount to anything else.

2. In most cases, after an OFW reaches his/her country of destination, the recruiting agency doesn't care at all anymore. You are left on your own whether or not working conditions are good or bad. This is where the OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) comes in as described by Miss Jessette; the POLO (Phil. Overseas Labor Office), the Phil. Embassy and the Phil. Consulate. 

In the event that the contract has been completed and the OFW doesn't want to extend or renew the contract, the employer has no choice but to release the worker. However, in almost all private companies/institutions/hospitals/clinics, this is a very difficult situation. In my first employment before, I didn't want to renew my contract. I waited for 8 months before I could go home. Finally I said I would go for vacation and come back, thus I was let go. I didn't go back, of course! In my next employment, it took me 6months before I could go home.  The policy was: no replacement, no going home. There was a huge shortage of staff at that time and it still is (due to very low salary), thus the policy, which is against the kingdom's labor laws. But who cares about an OFW or any other foreign workers (Asians and Africans) in this country? Nobody cares! That is a sad and painful reality here.  (Except Malaysia which has very good overseas policy for their citizens.) Even your own embassy cannot help you. I ended up calling the Phil. Embassy in Riyad which referred me to the Phil. Consulate in Jeddah. Their advise? Wait. I just had to wait. You see, that's why I said being an OFW entails a lot of patience. 

I am very grateful to God Almighty for my present work. Company is good, pay is good. Accommodations are free and very nice. No taxes. Exact opposite of my previous employments. It took a lot of prayers and straight faith, too.

3. You may visit your lady friend here but with extreme difficulty. Where will you spend your time together? You may risk to dine out in a restaurant or check in into a hotel. However, the police and the "mutawa" (religious police) are everywhere. They may check you randomly, anywhere, anytime. Without proper papers to present to prove that you are legally married, you both will end up in jail and only God knows whatever happens afterwards (God forbids!!!). You may stay with a couple that either you both know, in their rented house/villa, but make sure that this couple is also legally married. As there lots of "couples" out there; another sad reality here. You may also risk (again!) to drive out to the parks or camp in the desert. There are random checkpoints everywhere (again!). Unrelated male and female in a car (or anywhere else) is prohibited. There should be a real couple with you, or relatives like mother and son, or father and daughter, or brother and sister, and all female passengers.  Malesthough unrelated can all be in a car

Continuation. ..

There is an ongoing crackdown on all undocumented workers in the kingdom, thus the checkpoints, which makes your visit (almost) impossible. 

4. An OFW can file for a resignation if he/she wishes not to finish the contract. There are many cases like this. But mostly, the OFW will shoulder all expenses on visa and airfare, and may or may not receive gratuity.

5. The best and fastest way  for you both to get married is for your lady to resign, go home to the Phils. and get married there.

6. Early termination of contract is possible will valid reasons. She goes home due to an ailing family member esp a parent or a child; a teenaged daughter/son goes astray that needs a mother's love and care;  to fix a family problem due to a cheating husband; she has saved enough money to put up a business; or simply wants to get married. 

7. The OFW is entitled to a month-long vacation after a year or two. She can take longer if she has more accrued leaves. During the week-long ramadan or hajj vacation or anytime that she can apply for even 3-4days leave, you both can meet up in Dubai or Bahrain. If she is a household worker,  that would be impossible. 

8. Modern communication devices may be available everywhere yet there are some small setbacks. You may experience poor network signal in some places in the Phils. Like me, there's no interest and phone lines at home, only mobiles.  I had to go to internet shops in town sometimes. 

Cecile said:

Yvens said:

I experienced to live in Dubai for a year for my training, although it is a muslim place its not that strict, open emarat i think, (i guess only the over speeding, very strict, cameras everywhere). I even observed co-habitation there. And people can drink liquor in their flats, an observation, can eat pork as well.

The OFW's there as far as I know, their "pataka" labor card expires every three years and the residency. There is unlimited contract renewal for 5 years, then on can get the employee of NOC if they wish to resign. They have this annual vacation for a month or some for 45 days. 

The problem I observed there was, a lot of Filipinos or other citizens were trapped due to credit card debts, others loans. The issuance of credit card, and loans, even car loans, in any bank there, is not strict to expats. Anyone can get or depends on the salary, theres a salary bracket for other loans. And debts is a criminal case in UAE.

Just my observation.

Alysa

Alysa said:

Cecile said:

Yvens said:

I experienced to live in Dubai for a year for my training, although it is a muslim place its not that strict, open emarat i think, (i guess only the over speeding, very strict, cameras everywhere). I even observed co-habitation there. And people can drink liquor in their flats, an observation, can eat pork as well.

The OFW's there as far as I know, their "pataka" labor card expires every three years and the residency. There is unlimited contract renewal for 5 years, then on can get the employee of NOC if they wish to resign. They have this annual vacation for a month or some for 45 days. 

The problem I observed there was, a lot of Filipinos or other citizens were trapped due to credit card debts, others loans. The issuance of credit card, and loans, even car loans, in any bank there, is not strict to expats. Anyone can get or depends on the salary, theres a salary bracket for other loans. And debts is a criminal case in UAE.

Just my observation.

Alysa

Hello Alysa 

Eqama or pataka?

Cecile said:

Alysa said:

Cecile said:

Yvens said:

Just my observation.

Alysa

Hello Alysa 

Eqama or pataka?

Yeah Cecille, iqama saudian term? I guess

on January 14, 2014 1 likes

Hi Andrew!!!

I just want to share my own opinion base on the countryi working now.jossete,and nelia opinions some are similar here in Singapore.I cannot answer by numbers of your question,i hope that what i can share now,can help to understand about ofw.

Here in Singapore have a lot of ofw,mostly here are Dh(domestic helper) i (we) are signing our contract for 2years,in every 2years we are allowed to go vacation for 2weeks,if we are plan to renew our contract in our employers after 2 years. But if your employers don't want to renew you as there employee,they will send you back to the agency or straight to our country,sometimes it depends on employers consideration. If your employers still wanted you to continue then you don't like they cannot force you.

As Dh(domestic helper)in Singapore we are not allowed to make any extra encome,or marrying here.this is some of the reasons why they terminated,and banned to work here,cause still have alot of Filipina or even the other countries, are not following the rules and regulation that stated in our contract. Some are working in other house every off days,some making a small business,there are some become pregnant.

About using a smart phone,some Singaporean employers are not allowing there employee to use it,some have time schedule,some are open to used but we must know our limitations.

If have someone that willing to married its better to cancel our contract then go backhome.

Hi andrew, 

You are right that most of the ladies here including myself are ofw's. Internet is my way of fighting boredom or sharing my experience in love, life, struggles and a lot of other reasons. Like you can talk and say it freely without hesitation, just being yourself and listen to others comments or views.

A typical contract is 2 years. If I want to extend my contract years, it will be between me and the company. Others if there employer is satisfied on how you work, then it will be between them. If not, one can finish there contract and leave. Visiting them at their work, well you have to be careful especially in the middle east. Each country have different rules that you need to follow. Normally in saudi arabia you are not allowed to be with someone who is not your relative or co-worker. There will be a lot of checkpoints and it is questionable if you are inside a taxi with the opposite sex and dont have legal documents with you like marriage contract with seal from chamber of commerce and signature of the employer. Same when you go to a restaurant or other public places like malls etc. Other open countries in the middle east like bahrain and dubai, yes you can meet them outside with or without employees approval. Just make sure that its their off day or after working hours. If an ofw wants to terminate the contract, still they need to talk with their sponsor.  They might agree as long as they have a reliever or if one's reason is valid. Regarding communication,  some sponsor doesnt allow their workers to have mobiles thats why they are hiding it from them. 

Hope my information helps!

God bless!

Andrew said:

on January 15, 2014 0 likes

Please submit an explanation of the reason for marking this post as inappropriate:

Upgrade Membership

You have exceeded your quota for today for posting to the forum; would you like to upgrade your membership to take full advantage of the forum? If so, we also will allow you to use the special FORUM promo code valid today for you for a special discount by clicking the button below.

Welcome Back!

Tip of the Week
Tried the CF Apps?
We now have apps for your mobile phone or tablet, and even for your Windows or Macintosh computer. Try them out today.
Yes, I want to see the App selection Not now

Your profile is hidden!

We've noticed that your profile is marked as hidden. Only the members who you have added to your saved profile list can see your profile.
Would you like to keep your profile hidden, or show it to all users?

Keep Hidden Show

Oops! Your session has been expired!

Sorry, Your session has expired. You have to login again for choosing your default profile picture.
Please click on the login button for login again.

Login Close